Outlook Express Problems And TroubleShooting
Last Updated: May 27, 2015
A look at some commonly encountered problems with Outlook express and how to troubleshoot and resolve them.
- This is usually cause by incorrect account configuration either because Outlook Express failed to import previous settings correctly or you have manually setup up the configuration incorrectly.
- It can also be caused by the presence of a firewall
You have problems logging in or accessing your mail server typical error message is:
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’, Server: ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’, Protocol: POP3, Server Response: ‘-ERR Message Server said: Invalid login’, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92
The connection to the server has failed. Account: ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’, Server: ‘ ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’, Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
The host ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’ could not be found. Please verify that you have entered server name correctly. Account:’yourname’, Server ‘mail.onetel.net.uk’, protocol: POP3, Port:110’Secure(SSL):No, Socket Error:11001,Error Number 0x800CCC0D.
- If this is an initial setup then the most likely cause is incorrect account configuration -see above.
- If the message suddenly appears then it could be that the account password has become corrupt.
- A firewall is blocking access
Follow through the procedure in Setup Outlook Express Email and re-enter the username and password. If this doesn’t solve it create a new account with the same account details but don’t delete the original one just disable it by unticking the box next to the account.
To eliminate firewall problems go to a command prompt and type:
telnet smtpservername 25
If you get a response like:
220 smtpservername ESMTP
Then the firewall is not blocking you if you get an unable to establish connection message then the firewall is causing a problem. You need to enable access to ports 25 (SMTP) and 110(pop3) on your firewall and it should work ok.
NOTE: Windows XP has a firewall built into the operating system which you can disable/configure.
If that still doesn’t solve it then try resetting the TCP/IP stack on windows XP:
Click on Start, then Run
Type cmd and press the Enter
Type in netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
Error sending messages -SMTP, Server Response: ‘530 authentication required .
Your SMTP server requires authentication
- From the Tools menu, choose Accounts.
- Select the Mail tab.
- Double-click the account
- Select the Servers tab.
- Check the box next to My Server Requires Authentication.
- Usually you use the same account for POP3 for authentication. If not then you need to enter the account details.
- Click OK.
New anti-spam and virus measures in windows XP and OE.
- Images are blocked when you open an e-mail message in Outlook Express on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer.
- Messages missing in inbox
- Hotmail messages download twice
- error sending messages
- messages stuck in outbox
- Msimm.exe error
- Corrupt Database
For general details on repairing corrupt databases see these Microsoft articles :
- Outlook Express E-Mail Messages Are Missing from the Inbox Folder -Issue when using McAfee VirusScan
- Hotmail Messages Are Downloaded Twice
- Some of the items in the “deleted items” folder cannot be deleted
- Address Book failed to load error on sending message
- Email messages remain stuck in your Outbox
- Msimn.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
Hyperlinks not Working in Outlook Express Email
Installed a new browser, add on, toolbar etc that have changed the default settings
- Start Internet Explorer
- Select the Tools->Internet Options menu
- Select the Programs tab
- Look for a checkbox labelled “Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser“
- If this checkbox is not ticked, then this is the cause of the problem, so tick it!
- Click OK
- Close Internet Explorer and Re-open Internet Explorer
- Close Outlook Express and Re-open Outlook Express
If that doesn’t work see the Microsoft KB article “Send To” and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default
Related Articles and Resources:
- Setting Up outlook express to Access Yahoo mail
- Using Outlook Express tutorials and tips
- Using Outlook express Folders
- Understanding and Using Message rules on Outlook Express.
- Using the Outlook Express Address Book