How To Use Custom Status On Google Chat
Last Updated: May 17, 2022
Do you want to show why you’re currently busy on Google Chat? Or do you want other people to know that you’ll be back after a few minutes? In any case, you can display a custom status on your profile. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll teach you everything you need to know about using custom status on Google Chat.
In Google Chat, users have the option to choose a status to display on their accounts. You can set your status to “Do not disturb” to mute all notifications or “Set as away” to appear invisible to other users.
Aside from these statuses that you can use immediately, you can opt to add a custom one instead. In this way, you can display what you want other people to know about your activity much better.
Here’s our guide about adding a custom status on Google Chat.
How to add a custom status on Google Chat
If you want to let people know that you’re not available on Google Chat, you can add a custom status to your account. Although you can set yourself as away, using a custom status allows you to explain your situation much better.
You can add a custom status from the Google Chat web or mobile app. Check our tutorials below to learn how.
On your computer:
- Visit Google Chat on your preferred browser and sign in to your account.
- Click your current status on the upper right side of your screen.
- Select “Add a status” from the menu.
- Choose an emoji and write your own status. Alternatively, you can select from the available options on your screen.
- Select the status duration and click Done on the bottom right to confirm your decision.
Once the duration passes, the custom status will disappear automatically from your account. On the other hand, you can also edit your current status and choose another one any time you want.
On your phone:
- Launch Google Chat from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap the hamburger icon on the top left side of the app.
- Tap the “Add a status” option on the sidebar.
- Choose an emoji and write the status that you want to display. Alternatively, you can choose one from the selection on your screen.
- Select the duration for the custom status and tap the checkmark on the top right to confirm your decision.
You can choose to display status for 30 minutes up to a week. You can opt to select a custom time as well.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to add a custom status on Google Chat, you can display your availability on the app much better. Always remember that you can edit or choose another status whenever you want on the app.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tutorials, visit our page regularly, and check our daily posts and updates.