How To Troubleshoot Or Turn Off The Discord Call Sound
Last Updated: December 13, 2019
The incoming call notification sound in Discord is either really useful or really annoying. Depending on which side of the fence you sit, you may want to turn off the Discord call sound altogether. If you like using it, you will likely come across times when it either sounds all the time even if there isn’t an incoming message or otherwise not work as advertised. This tutorial walks you through both scenarios.
The incoming call notification is useful if you’re in game or busy doing something and not worried about being disturbed. If you’re in the middle of something or are concentrating hard then disabling this notification can reduce distractions significantly. Like most things in Discord, it’s very easy to do once you know how.
Troubleshooting the call sound takes a little more work and I’ll tackle that in a minute.
Turn off Discord call sound
Turning off notifications in Discord is super-useful if you want to keep interacting with the app but want to reduce interruptions from calls. It’s a simple setting that toggles the incoming ring on or off. You can use it situationally or permanently, it is entirely up to you.
- Open Discord on your device.
- Select User Settings from the gear icon at the bottom.
- Select Notifications from the left menu.
- Scroll to Incoming Ring and toggle it off.
That’s it. Now you should no longer be interrupted by the Discord call sound. When you’re ready to dive back into Discord or into chat, you can enable it again so you’re notified when someone wants to chat.
Troubleshooting the Discord call sound
I have heard of a few people having issues around the Discord call sound. Issues such as ringing permanently, even when nobody is calling or when it won’t ring even when the Incoming Ring setting is enabled. There are likely other situations too. Here are a few troubleshooting methods for correcting the Discord call sound.
It could just be Discord misfiring so a quick restart should be able to let you know if that’s the case or not. Shut down Discord, make sure the process has stopped in your task or activity manager and then restart it again. This should fix it at least some of the time.
- Right click an empty space on the Windows Task Bar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Discord process, right click and select End Task.
- Restart Discord.
This should work fine and the ringing should stop when you restart Discord. This isn’t the only way to stop it ringing permanently though. If you select the Discord process and expand it, you will see the main process and some dependent processes underneath. You can select one of those dependent processes to see if it’s one of those causing the malfunction rather than shutting Discord down completely.
If you use a Mac, use the Command key + Q or use Activity Monitor to shut down Discord in the same was as in Windows.
In the vast majority of cases this is enough to stop Discord ringing permanently. If yours continues to ring, you have two main options. Reinstall Discord or update your audio driver. If all other games and applications work fine with your current audio driver, start with Discord. If you’re having other problems with audio, start with your driver.
- Select the Windows Start button.
- Scroll to Discord and right click the icon.
- Select Uninstall from the menu.
- Select to uninstall Discord from the popup window.
- Download a fresh copy of Discord from the website.
- Install it and log in.
If you made any customizations, you will need to do them over. Otherwise you should see your servers and channels appear, your original avatar and everything else the same as it was before you uninstalled. It is a little drastic but a few web users have had to resort to reinstalling Discord just to stop that call sound.
Update your audio driver in Windows:
- Identify the make and model of sound card if you use one or motherboard if you use onboard sound.
- Visit the manufacturer’s website for your device and find the Download section.
- Download the latest audio driver for your device.
- Right click the Windows Start button and select Device Manager.
- Select your sound card and right click.
- Select Sound, video and game controllers.
- Select your sound device and select Update Driver.
- Select to manually install a driver and point Windows to the download.
- Install and reboot your computer.
That should definitely stop the Discord call sound!
Know of any other ways to stop the Discord call sound? Tell us about it below if you do!