How To Transfer Ownership Of A Telegram Group
Last Updated: January 13, 2022
Do you no longer wish to manage a group that you own on Telegram? Or is it finally time to pass the responsibility to another member? In any case, you can transfer the ownership of your group to one of its admins. We’ll show you how to do so in our quick guide below.
In Telegram, users can create groups with their friends and other contacts on the app. As the owner, you have the permissions to manage the group, including changing the permissions, inviting new members, and promoting admins.
When you no longer want to handle the responsibilities of being a group owner, you can step down any time you want. You can pass the ownership to one of the group admins to take your place.
Here’s our guide about transferring group ownership on Telegram.
How to transfer group ownership in Telegram
When it’s time for you to step down as the owner of a group, you can transfer the ownership to one of your admins. The new owner will have full control over the group chat, including managing its members.
You can transfer group ownership to an administrator whether you’re using the Telegram desktop or mobile app. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll show you how.
On the Telegram app for Android:
- After opening the Telegram app, head to the group where you want to step down as the owner.
- Click the group’s name or icon on the header.
- Tap the edit icon on the top right side of the screen. If you can’t see the edit icon, tap the group photo once.
- Select the Administrators option to view all the admins of the group.
- Select the person that you want as the next owner.
- Among the permissions available to the admin, enable the “Add new admins” option.
- Select the “Transfer Group Ownership” option once it appears at the bottom of the page, and confirm your decision.
Once you fully transfer the ownership of the group, the new owner will have full control over the chat. They can manage the permissions, edit the members list, change the group name, and many more.
Always remember to enable the “Add New Admins” option when selecting the new owner. Unless you toggle it, the “Transfer Group Ownership” option won’t appear at the bottom of the screen.
On the Telegram desktop app:
- Head to the group that you want to manage.
- Click the three dots icon on the conversation header and select “Manage group” from the menu.
- Select the Administrators option near the bottom of the window to view all the group admins.
- Select the admin that you want to be the next owner.
- Toggle the “Add new admins” option under the “What can this admin do” section.
- Select “Transfer group ownership” and confirm your decision.
Please note that you can only transfer the ownership of your group to one of your admins. If you want a regular member to be the owner, promote them to an admin first.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to transfer the ownership of your Telegram group, you can step down as the owner and participate as a regular member. You can also leave the group without deleting it for everyone if you want.
That’s it! For more tutorials, visit our site frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.