How To Start A Thread On Discord
Last Updated: November 16, 2021
Do you want to start discussions on your Discord server without flooding the text channels with messages? If so, you can create a thread on one of your text channels. In this way, you can organize the replies in a separate section from all the other messages on the channel. Check our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to create a thread on the Discord desktop, web, and mobile app.
In Discord, people can use text channels to share messages and files with other server members. However, there are times when you want to start a specific topic for discussion within the community.
With that in mind, you can start threads on your text channels to create a space for discussions with other server members. When you start a thread, all the replies and posts on the discussion are in a separate section to keep them organized.
By creating threads for some of your discussions, you can avoid filling up your channel with messages from other users. Without further ado, here’s our guide about creating threads on Discord.
How to create a thread on Discord
If you want to start a discussion on your Discord server, you can start a thread on one of its channels. In this way, you can introduce a topic in a temporary space on the channel without flooding the conversation with replies from other users.
You can start a thread on a Discord channel, whether you’re on your phone or computer. Follow our quick tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both devices.
On your computer:
- Launch the Discord desktop app or visit their web browser client and sign in to your account.
- Head to one of your servers and select the text channel where you want to start a thread.
- Click the plus icon on the message field and select the “Create Thread” option from the menu.
- Add the thread name, message, and archive countdown after inactivity.
- Click the “Create Thread” button to start the thread on the channel.
Please note that the server owner and one of its admins can restrict members from starting a thread. If you can’t access this feature on your favorite server, ask one of the admins for help.
People on servers with a higher boost level can enjoy more features in their threads. For example, members of level two servers can start private threads and set the archive countdown to one week.
On the Discord mobile app:
- After opening the app and signing in to your account, tap the hamburger icon on the top left to open the menu.
- Head to the server where you want to start a thread and go to one of its text channels.
- Tap the plus icon at the bottom of the conversation, on the left of the message field.
- Once the options appear on your screen, click the Threads icon on the bottom right.
- Add the thread’s name and send a message to start a new thread on the channel.
If you created a public thread, everyone that has access to the channel can post replies and participate in the discussion. On the other hand, only those mentioned on a private thread can reply and post in the conversation.
Please note that private threads are available to servers with a boost level of two. If you can’t create a private thread, your server might not have enough boosts to reach tier two.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create threads on Discord, you can start organized discussions without messing up your text channels with a lot of messages and replies. Please note that after a period of inactivity, the app automatically archives your threads within the channel.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit our site from time to time, and read our latest posts and updates.