How To Start A Huddle On Slack
Last Updated: November 4, 2021
Do you want to start quick discussions on your Slack workspace while being able to use your microphone or share the screen? If that’s the case, you can start a huddle on one of your channels or group DMs on the app. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to do it from your computer or mobile device.
Although you can use Slack without availing of one of their premium plans, you might want to get one to access more features for your workspace. One of these features is having the option to start huddles, which is like a room where you can talk with your workmates and other members.
Huddles can hold up to 50 participants at a time, and anyone that’s part of the conversation can join it when it starts. However, you can opt to invite specific people outside of the DM or channel where you want to host the discussion.
With that in mind, here’s our guide about starting a huddle on Slack.
How to start a huddle in a channel or one of your conversations on Slack
If you want to have some quick discussions with audio on Slack, you can start a huddle in one of the channels or conversations on your workspace. When you do, you can invite other workspace members to join, and everyone can communicate with microphones and even share their screen.
You can start a huddle whether you’re using Slack on your phone or computer. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both devices.
Note: Huddles are only available to Slack premium plans.
On your computer:
- Open the Slack desktop or web app and sign in to your workspace.
- Go to the channel or conversation where you want to start a discussion.
- Click the start huddle button on the bottom of the sidebar. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Shift + H on your keyboard as a shortcut.
- After starting the huddle, click the Invite people icon on the bottom of the sidebar to ask other workspace members to join your discussion.
- You’ll find the share screen and the mute option on the sidebar if you ever need to use these features.
Note: Slack calls are available on the web app only if you’re using Google Chrome.
To leave the huddle, click the headphone icon on the bottom left. On the other hand, you can press Ctrl + Shift + H on your keyboard as a shortcut.
You can invite people that aren’t a part of the channel to join your huddle. Once they do, they can participate in the discussion, but they can’t check the contents of the channel.
On the Slack mobile app:
- After signing in to your workspace, go to the channel or conversation where you want to start a discussion.
- Tap the antenna icon on the conversation header.
- Tap the Start huddle option on the bottom of the app to confirm your decision.
- After starting the huddle, you can select the add people icon to invite people to your discussion. You can also tap the microphone icon to mute yourself on the huddle.
You can exit a huddle from the mobile app by tapping on the antenna icon at the top of your screen and selecting “Leave” on the menu.
Like we mentioned earlier, you can invite users not part of the channel or conversation to attend. Although they can participate in the discussion, they can’t see the messages and other content shared on the chat.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to start a huddle on Slack, you can make quick discussions any time you want from DMs and channels on your workspace. As such, there’s no need for you to use third-party apps to host emergency meetings or casual talks.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more Slack tutorials from us, visit our site frequently, and browse our latest posts and updates.