How To Set Up Your Account In Splinterlands
Last Updated: October 26, 2021
Are you looking for a great play to earn game that won’t break your bank just to get started playing the game? Splinterlands is a digital, collectible card game built on the Hive blockchain. Here’s how you can get started.
In recent months, play to earn games have seen a massive boom in popularity. Not surprising since it gives players an opportunity to make money out of playing video games. These kinds of games are possible thanks to blockchains and the introductions of NFTs or non-fungible tokens. An NFT is a unique digital token that exists on a blockchain and can’t be replaced with something else. NFTs can take on various forms like digital art, music, real estate and even collectible cards. Which brings us to Splinterlands.
What is Splinterlands?
Splinterlands is a collectible card game much like Magic the Gathering or Hearthstone. It combines the fun and excitement of battling with cards and the true ownership that comes with NFTs. You see in games like Hearthstone, you don’t truly own the cards you buy. Instead, they’re kind of leased to you by the company. In an NFT game like Splinterlands, all the cards you own are considered digital assets and you can literally do anything you want with it like sell it for money or trade it for other cards.
Thanks to blockchain technology, these cards and digital assets have true scarcity and complete transparency. This means that all the cards and tokens you earn or collect in Splinterlands cannot be copied, replicated, or printed at will. All transactions are recorded on a decentralized public ledger that cannot be falsified and can be verified by anyone.
Players who enjoy competitive card battles will find a lot to like in Splinterlands. There are tons of things to do. You can participate in ranked battles, challenge someone to a friendly duel, or even participate in tournaments. So how do you get started playing this game?
How to Get Started with Splinterlands
Getting started with Splinterlands is simple. Here’s how to do it.
- Head on to the website, splinterlands.com, and click on the “PLAY NOW” button.
- You’ll see a popup window where you can create your own account or log in if you have accounts on cryptocurrency wallets like Metamask or Venly.
- After clicking create account, you’ll be taken to a new popup window where you can enter your desired email address for your Splinterlands account. If you know someone who already plays Splinterlands or if you were referred by someone to play this game, you can put them down as your referral account.
- Click on continue and you’ll be prompted to create a new password. Type in your desired password and click on create.
- Then, you’ll be greeted with the welcome message explaining to you that you’ll have a temporary account name.
From here on out, you can start to play Splinterlands on its own. You can play in ranked matches, challenge someone to a duel, or play the tutorial. But, you won’t be able to earn rewards or participate in quests. This is an important distinction as you would need to chip in an initial investment of $10.00 to start earning with the game. You would need to purchase a spellbook which is equivalent to a hive wallet account. You can play and enjoy the game without having to spend anything at all but you won’t be able to earn or keep the cards that you could potentially receive. Basically, you’ll be removing the “to earn” part of “play to earn game.” So we would recommend purchasing the spellbook if you can to fully maximize the opportunities you can get with Splinterlands.
How to Buy a Spellbook
Like we’ve mentioned before, a spellbook is needed to fully enjoy Splinterlands and unlock its play to earn properties. If you owned a spellbook, you can have access to all quests and yield in-game assets in the form of rewards like Dark Energy Crystals, which is the primary form of currency in Splinterlands. Sometimes, you’ll even earn super rare cards which you can sell for hundreds or even thousands of dollars. Keep in mind that getting rare cards is not guaranteed. You’ll still need a bit of luck to get good cards that are valuable. One thing’s for certain though, if you play the game long enough, you’ll soon expand your card collection.
So here’s how you can buy a spellbook:
- From the BATTLE! tab, you can click on the BUY SPELLBOOK button on the Unlock Quests interface on the right side of the page. Alternatively, you can head to the shop to purchase the spellbook by clicking on the icon on the upper left portion of the page that looks like a bunch of gold coins.
- Once you’re on the shop’s page, you’ll see the price of the spellbook and the methods of payment.
- If you have a gift card or promo code, you can use it to purchase the spellbook. Click on it, and you’ll need to enter the code to proceed.
- If you’d rather use PayPal, it’s an option as well. Click on the PayPal button and you’ll be redirected to a PayPal pop up window where you’d need to log in and confirm the payment.
- Of course, since cryptocurrencies are at the core of NFT games like Splinterlands, you can use crypto to pay. Click on the button and you’ll find a wide variety of cryptocurrencies they accept like Bitcoin (BTC) or Litecoin (LTC). Click on your desired cryptocurrency and proceed with the directions that follow since the methods are different for each crypto.
- After you’ve paid using your selected payment method, there’ll be a short loading time while the game verifies your payment.
- As soon as it’s done, you can now choose your username.
- And voila. Your account is now upgraded! You now have access to all the features Splinterlands has to offer.
Overall,Splinterlands is a solid game with excellent play to earn opportunities that require very little in the form of investments. Anyone interested in exploring NFT games should give Splinterlands a shot. Come for the gameplay, stay for the crypto experience.
So there you have it! That’s everything you need to know to set up your account and get started playing Splinterlands. Be sure to check back with us again for more awesome guides on your favorite games. Have fun!