How To Set Up Two-step Verification On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: January 5, 2022
Do you want to add another layer of security to your Teams account? If so, you can set up two-step verification on your Microsoft account. Check our guide below, and we’ll show you how to use an authenticator app to add verification to your account.
In Microsoft Teams, you’ll need to enter your password and email address to access your account. Although having a strong password can help you protect your account from unauthorized people, having an extra layer of security is not a bad thing.
Fortunately, Microsoft allows you to add a two-step verification option to your account. In this way, anyone that tries to access your account also needs the verification code to continue.
Check our quick guide below to learn how.
How to set up two-step verification on your Microsoft Account
If you want to add more security to your Microsoft Teams account, you can enable their verification feature. Since you can manage your Microsoft apps with one account, you’ll need to turn on the two-step verification feature to enable it for all other apps you use.
You can enable two-step verification by opening your Accounts Page and heading to your Security Settings. Follow our quick tutorial below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
Note: You can choose whether to receive a verification code through an app, alternative email address, or phone number. With that in mind, we’ll show you the steps to use two-step verification with an authenticator app.
- Using your preferred web browser, visit the Microsoft Account page and sign in to your account.
- Click “Security” on the header.
- Under the Security basics section, select Advanced security options.
- Scroll down to the Additional security section and click the “Turn on” option under Two-step verification.
- Read the instructions on your screen and select Next.
- Select where you want to receive your verification code and continue. If you don’t have the Microsoft Authenticator app, you can set it up with another authenticator app.
- Scan the barcode that appears on your screen with your preferred authenticator app. If your app can’t verify the code, try using another one.
- Type the verification code generated from the authenticator app and click Next.
- Write down the recovery code and make sure to store it safely. After doing so, click Next.
- Click Next once again and select the Finish button.
Instead of using an authenticator app, you can opt to use an alternative email address or a phone number to receive your verification code. Whenever you try to sign in to Microsoft Teams, you’ll need to enter this code as well.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to turn on two-step verification on your account, you now have another layer of security to all Microsoft apps you have, including Teams. Always remember that you don’t always need to use an authenticator app. You can choose to set up two-step verification with your phone number or alternate email address.
For more tips and tutorials, check our latest posts and updates.