How To Set Up A Vacation Reply On Gmail
Last Updated: August 9, 2021
Are you planning to take a vacation to a place where there’s no stable internet connection? Or do you want to take a few days off from opening your email account? Either way, you can use the Vacation responder on Gmail to automatically reply while letting people know that you can’t reply to them right away. In our quick guide below, we’ll show you how to enable and set up an out-of-office reply on your account.
In Gmail, you can set up an out-of-office reply to automatically respond to messages even if you’re not using the app. As such, you can notify your contacts that try to email you, letting them know that you’re away from using your account for some time.
With that in mind, here’s a quick guide on how to set up your Vacation responder on Gmail.
How to add an automatic out-of-office reply on Gmail
If you’re going out of town and not planning to use your email for a while, you can set up a vacation responder on your account. This way, people who message you get an automatic email response you can customize when setting up this feature.
You can add a vacation reply to Gmail whether you’re using the email service on your computer or phone. In our step-by-step tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from both.
On your computer:
- Using your preferred web browser, visit Gmail and sign in to your account.
- Click the gear icon located on the top right side of the screen and select “See all settings” on the menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the General tab and turn on the Vacation responder or out of office reply feature.
- Choose the date for Gmail to start sending automated replies. If you don’t have a definite date about when you’ll come back to use your account, you can choose not to add an end date.
- Add a subject and type the message you want to use as the automatic reply to messages. You can also choose to respond only to people you saved on your Contacts list.
- After finalizing your out-of-office reply, click the Save Changes button.
Enabling out of office auto replay or the Vacation responder lets Gmail send automated replies to messages you receive from other people. If you receive several emails from the same person, the app can automatically respond once every four days.
On your mobile device:
- Open the Gmail app from your home screen or app drawer.
- Tap the three horizontal lines on the top left side of your screen and select Settings near the bottom of the menu.
- Choose the account that you want to manage.
- Under the General section, tap “Vacation responder.”
- Enable the feature and set the start date. Adding an end date for the automated replies is optional.
- Add a subject, type your message, and choose whether to send the automated reply to your contacts only or not.
- Once you finish editing the Vacation responder, tap Done on the upper-right.
Always remember that your automated reply starts over every time you edit it. If someone receives one of your first responses, they’ll get your newly updated Vacation response once they email you again.
For those that use Gmail for school, work, or an organization, you have the option to send the response to the ones on your organization only.
Enjoy your vacation without worrying about your emails
With the help of the Vacation responder feature on Gmail, you can go ahead and take your vacation or break without worrying about your contacts or other people that email you. You can leave a message about why you’re currently away and when you’re planning to go back on the automated response.
That’s everything we have on our guide! If you want to read more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us frequently and check our daily posts or updates.