How To Send GIFs On Slack
Last Updated: November 1, 2021
Do you want to add more fun to your conversations on Slack? Or do you want to make the mood light for every chat participant? In any case, you can opt to share GIFs on your conversations on Slack. In our quick guide below, we’ll show you how to do so with the GIPHY integration.
In Slack, you can share emojis, images, and videos on channels and conversations in your workspace. Aside from that, you can also add apps to your workspace to get more features from other services.
One of the apps you can use on Slack is GIPHY, which allows you to share GIFs from their extensive library directly to a channel or one of your conversations. Once you integrate the app into your workspace, everyone can go ahead and share GIFs to make your chats more fun.
If you can’t add the GIPHY app to Slack, you can contact one of your administrators or the workspace owner to add it for you.
With that in mind, here’s how to use GIPHY to send GIFs on Slack.
How to use GIPHY on Slack
If you want to keep your conversations on Slack light and fun, you can share GIFs with the other channel or chat participants. With the help of GIPHY, you can access and send GIFs from their library without downloading them on your device.
After integrating GIPHY on Slack, you can send GIFs to your conversations from your computer or mobile device. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it on both.
On your computer:
- Launch the Slack desktop app or web browser client and sign in to your workspace.
- Head to the channel or conversation where you want to share a GIF.
- Click the lightning icon on the bottom left part of the message field to open your shortcuts.
- Scroll down, select Giphy, and click “Find and share a gif.”
- Type the GIF that you want to share and hit the Search button.
- Click the Share button to send the GIF to the conversation. If it’s not the one you want to send, hit Shuffle to get a random GIF from the selection.
Alternatively, you can type “/giphy” + [text] on the message field and hit the send button. This option shares a random GIF based on the search term you used.
Please note that common phrases and words may give out different results. As such, we recommend that you use the search option when sharing GIFs.
On the Slack mobile app:
- After signing in to your workspace, head to the channel or conversation where you want to share a GIF.
- On the message field, type the slash command “/giphy” and add a search term. Hit the Send button to generate a random GIF from the search results.
- Once the GIF appears on your screen, tap Send to share it to the conversation. On the other hand, you can tap Shuffle to get a random GIF from the search results.
That’s how you send GIFs on the Slack mobile app. You can set a maximum rating for GIFs that comes up from your search results. To do so, head to the GIPHY page on your Slack App Directory, choose a rating option and click Save Integration.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to use GIPHY on Slack, you can now share GIFs on channels and conversations within your workspace. As such, you have more options besides emojis when you want to make your chats more fun and lively.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tutorials about Slack and other apps, visit our site and browse our latest posts and updates.