How To Send Code Snippets On Slack
Last Updated: October 14, 2021
Are you working on a website, program, or software while using Slack as your main collaboration tool? Do you want to discuss codes, logs, and configuration files on channels and direct messages? If so, you can share snippets of your code in your workspace. In this way, you can discuss and break down codes through your conversation on Slack. Follow our quick guide below to learn how.
Slack is one of the best communication platforms that allow you to message your team, share files, and start projects in one place. Aside from these features, you can also share snippets of code through a conversation or channel to find bugs, fix problems, and ask for improvements from other workspace members.
With the help of the snippet feature on the app, you can directly copy, paste, and share code on the conversation so that the chat participants can access them with ease. From there, people can download, share, and comment on your work.
Here’s our guide on how to create snippets on Slack.
How to share snippets on Slack
In Slack, you can share snippets of codes, configuration files, or log files in your workspace. In this way, the programmers in the team can discuss coding, offer suggestions, and fix bugs in the code in one place.
You can share code snippets on the Slack desktop and mobile app. Follow our quick tutorial below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
- On your desktop, open Slack (web or desktop app) and sign in to one of your workspaces.
- Head to the DM or channel where you want to share your code.
- Click the lightning icon on the bottom left part of the message field and select “Create a code or text snippet” on the menu. If you can’t find the option to create a snippet immediately, click Slack on the apps section first.
- Enter the title you want to use (optional) and select the type of file.
- Paste your code on the Content field.
- Make sure to check the box beside “Share this file” and select the Create Snippet button to send the code to the conversation. You can also add a simple message with the code to explain the contents.
After sending the snippet to the channel or DM, other chat participants can check and access them. They can also download or share the snippet if they have permission to do so.
If you want to make some changes to the code, hover on the snippet and click the Edit icon on the right. After you finish editing the code, click the Save Changes button on the bottom right of the window to confirm your decision.
Unfortunately, you can’t create snippets on the Slack mobile app. However, you can still view, download, and share them with other users.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create snippets on your Slack workspace, you can share bits of codes, configuration files, and log files on channels and conversations on the app. You can find all snippets on your workspace by using the File browser feature and selecting Snippets as the file type.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, check our site frequently, and browse our latest posts and updates.