How To Send Chat Messages During Your Meetings On Google Meet
Last Updated: October 21, 2022
Do you want to share files or use the chat to communicate in your meetings on Google Meet? Or do you want to send a message to everyone without using your microphone? In any case, you can send messages using the chat feature in your meeting. Check our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
People can use Google Meet to start meetings and discussions with other people online. Meeting participants can use their microphones and turn on their cameras when discussing with others in the room.
However, we understand that you might need to share files or send information without using audio. Thankfully, you can use the chat feature to send messages and links to everyone inside the meeting room.
Here’s our guide about using the chat feature on Google Meet.
How to use the chat feature on Google Meet
If you have something to say during your meeting on Google Meet but prefer not to say it using the microphone, you can use the chat feature during the call. You can also use the chat feature to share links to files from your Google Drive and other cloud services online.
You can use the chat feature whether you’re using the Meet app on your desktop browser or mobile device. Follow our tutorials below, and we’ll show you the steps from both app versions.
On your desktop:
- Open your favorite browser, visit the Google Meet web client, and sign in to your account.
- Start an instant meeting or join an existing one by using a link or code.
- Once you’re inside the meeting room, click the messages icon on the bottom right.
- Type your message and click the paper plane icon to send it to the chat.
After sending a message, everyone currently participating in the meeting can check it. When sharing a file through the chat, make sure to give other participants permission to access it.
On your phone:
- Launch the Google Meet app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Start a new meeting or join one through a code or link.
- Inside the meeting room, tap More options (three dots icon) on the bottom right.
- Once the menu appears, select the “In-call messages” option.
- Type your message and hit the Send button to share it in the chat.
Please note that you can only check the messages sent through the chat when you’re inside the meeting room. You can’t view previous conversations prior to joining the meeting. When you leave the room, all the messages disappear automatically.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to use the chat in Google Meet, you can now send messages and share links with other meeting participants. Please note that admins of workspace organizations can turn off this feature whenever they want.
That’s everything we have in our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.