How To Rename A Channel On Discord
Last Updated: September 10, 2021
Do you want to let your Discord server members know about a channel at first glance? Or do you want to re-use a channel for a different purpose? Either way, you can rename it any time as an admin or server owner. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll teach you everything you need to know about doing so.
In Discord, people use channels to communicate with other people within their community. Server members can use text channels to message and share files with others, while they can also join voice channels to talk with their microphone or watch streams.
Although you can use any name for your channels, we recommend that you use one that best describes its purpose. After all, you might want other members to know their way through your server much easier.
With that in mind, you have the option to rename your channels any time you want. As long as you have permission to do so, you can edit your channel details to replace its current name.
Here’s our guide on how to rename a channel on Discord.
How to change a channel’s name on Discord
If you want to use one of your text or voice channels for a different purpose, you can opt to change its name. By renaming a channel on your server, you get to inform other members about how you want them to use the channel.
You can rename a Discord channel whether you’re on your phone or desktop. In our quick tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it on both devices.
On your desktop:
- Launch the Discord app on your computer or web browser and sign in to your account.
- Head to one of your servers where you want to rename a channel.
- Hover on one of your channels and click the gear icon to view or edit its details.
- Go to the Overview tab and rename the channel.
- Click Save Changes to confirm your decision.
If you ever need to rename your channel again, you can do it anytime you want. To show your server members how they should use the channel, you can inform them by adding a topic.
On your mobile device:
- Open the Discord app on your phone and sign in to your account.
- Tap the three lines on the top left corner of your screen and navigate to one of your servers where you want to rename a channel.
- Go to a channel and tap the icon on the top right to view the channel details.
- Tap Settings to edit the channel.
- Rename the channel and tap the save icon on the bottom right to apply the changes.
That’s how you rename a channel from the Slack mobile app. Although you can change your channel’s name any time you want, we recommend that you don’t do it frequently, as it may confuse other members.
Give your Discord channels a fitting name
Now that you know how to rename your Discord channels, you can give them a name that best describes their purpose. When you do, other members get to know which channels they can use for different things like viewing announcements and communicating with other members.
That’s all we have on our guide! For more tutorials and tips, visit us regularly, and check our daily posts and updates.