How To Remove Someone From A Team In Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: September 24, 2021
Did you accidentally invite someone to join your team in your MS Teams organization? Do you want to remove that person from your team? If you’re the owner, you can kick out any of the members whenever you want. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so on the Teams mobile, desktop, and web app.
An organization on Microsoft Teams can have a lot of teams for its members. Each one you create can have a different purpose for accomplishing your goals.
As time pass, people may come and go to your organization. Team members can change along the way as well. As such, it is a good idea to clean up your teams and remove inactive users or people that you no longer need in the group.
With that in mind, all owners have the permission to manage their team members whenever they want. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to remove users from a team you own.
How to kick a team member in Microsoft Teams
If you’re the owner of one of the teams on your Microsoft Teams organization, you can opt to remove members any time you want. In this way, you can kick out inactive users or the ones you accidentally invited to join the team.
You can remove team members whether you’re using Teams on your phone or computer. In our step-by-step tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it on both.
On your computer:
- Open Microsoft Teams (desktop or web app) and sign in to your account.
- Click Teams on the left side of your screen.
- Hover to one of your teams, click More options (three dots icon) and select “Manage team” on the menu.
- Expand the “Members and guests” section and click the “X” icon beside the user you want to remove from the team.
That’s how you remove a member from a team in your organization. If you ever change your mind, you can use the “Add member” option to invite the person back to your team.
Please note that only the owner can kick out members from a team. However, you can always leave one any time you want.
On your mobile device:
- Open the Teams app on your phone and sign in to your account and organization.
- Head to the Teams tab and tap the three dots icon beside the team you want to manage.
- Once the options appear from the bottom of the app, tap “Manage members.”
- Go to the Members tab and tap the three dots icon beside the person you want to remove from the team.
- Tap “Remove user” at the bottom of the app.
If you don’t see an option to remove a member from a team, it means that you don’t have permission to do so. When that happens, contact the team owner for help.
Although owners can remove team members whenever they want, only those with admin permission can kick out someone from an organization.
Remove unwanted or inactive users from your team
Now that you know how to remove a member from a team you own on Microsoft Teams, you can now kick unwanted or inactive users from participating with the group. If you ever change your mind, you can always add them back whenever you want.
That’s everything from us! For more tutorials, visit our site frequently, and don’t forget to check out our latest posts and updates.