How To Remove A Contact From A Group In Signal
Last Updated: March 7, 2021
Did you accidentally add someone to your group in Signal? Or do you want to remove unwanted people from the group chat? Either way, we’re here to help you. In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to remove a member from your group chat in Signal. Whether you’re using the desktop or mobile app, we got you covered.
Like most messaging apps out there, Signal Messaging also allows its users to form groups with their friends or other people. But unlike others, New Groups in Signal are secure with end-to-end encryption.
By default, each member of the group can add other users without the permission of the owner. As such, there are times where unwanted people get, and strangers get to join unnoticed.
Fortunately, the admin and the owner can choose to remove or delete a member from the group. They can filter our people they don’t know and kick them out.
To help you, here’s a quick guide about managing your group members in Signal. Whether you’re using your phone or computer, we got you.
How to remove a member from your group in Signal
If you’re an admin or owner of a group chat in Signal, you can remove unwanted people from your group. All you have to do is head to your list of members and delete them one by one.
You can manage your group settings by tapping the group name on your chat window. Follow our quick step-by-step tutorial below to learn how.
On mobile devices:
- Launch the Signal app from your home screen or app drawer.
- On your list of recent chats, open one of your groups.
- Tap the group’s name at the header of the chat window. Alternatively, you can tap More options (three-dot icon) on the upper right side of your screen and select Group settings.
- Scroll down to the list of members and tap on the one you want to delete from the group.
- At the bottom of the menu, tap “Remove from group” and confirm your decision.
That’s how you remove someone on a group on Signal. If you want to prevent other members from inviting more people, you can manage your group and change the permissions.
On your computer:
- Launch the Signal desktop app and link it to your phone. You need to scan the QR code that appears on your screen by heading to Settings > Linked Devices on the mobile app.
- Open one of your group chats from the left side of your screen.
- On the upper right corner of the chat window, open the menu (arrowhead icon) and select “Show members.”
- Click on the member your want to delete and select “Remove from Group.”
Note: Removing a member from a group is only available to New Groups.
How to manage your group permissions in Signal
In Signal Messaging, group owners can change a group’s settings to make it more secure. You have the option to prevent other members aside from your admins from inviting other people or editing the group info. Follow our tutorial below to learn how.
- Launch the Signal app on your device.
- Open one of your group chats.
- Tap the group’s name at the top of your screen. Alternatively, you can tap More options (three-dot icon) and select Group settings.
- Look for “Add members” and “Edit group info.”
- Change each option to “Only admins.”
Once you change your group member’s permissions, they can’t invite other people to your group or change its information. As such, you and the admins will have a much better time handling the group and managing its members.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to delete a member from your group in Signal, you can prevent unwanted people from participating or seeing your group chat. You can also filter out people that are inactive or mistakenly added to the chat.
To prevent other members from inviting people without your permission, you can change your group settings to allow only the admins to add new members.
That’s all we have on our guide about managing your group members in Signal. For the latest tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.