How To Prevent Community Members From Messaging Your Account On Viber
Last Updated: December 26, 2022
Are you receiving countless messages from people you don’t know on Viber? Are these messages coming from members of a community that you manage on the app? If that’s the case, you can disable messages that come from community members on Viber. Check our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how.
By default, anyone in a community can contact other members within the group. They can easily send private messages to admins and other members of the chat when they check their details.
However, we understand that there are people who value their privacy on the app. After all, most of you don’t want to receive messages from people that you don’t know personally or aren’t in your contacts.
Thankfully, you can disable private messages from communities on Viber. Here’s a guide to help you do so.
How to stop receiving messages from community members on Viber
If you don’t want to receive messages from community members on Viber, you can change your community settings on the app. In this way, you won’t receive messages from community members that don’t know your number.
You can choose not to accept messages from community members from the Viber mobile and desktop apps. We’ll cover the steps for both app versions in our tutorial below.
On your phone:
- Open the Viber app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Chats tab and open the community that you want to manage.
- Tap More options (three dots icon) on the conversation header and select “Community info” from the menu.
- Toggle the “Receive private messages” from the menu.
By turning off the receive messages option, you can prevent community members from contacting you on Viber. However, they can try to send you a message if they know the number associated with your account.
On your computer:
- Launch the Viber desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Browse the Chats tab and open the community that you want to manage.
- Scroll down the information tab on the right of the chat and turn off the “Receive Private Messages” option. If you can’t see the community information tab, click the info icon on the conversation header.
Please note that only everyone within the community, including admins, can turn off the messages option.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to disable private messages from Viber communities, you don’t need to worry about random people contacting you from one of your communities. Please note that you’ll need to toggle this option on each community you have on the app.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.