How To Mute Your Chats In WhatsApp
Last Updated: May 8, 2021
Are you tired of the countless notifications from some of your WhatsApp chats? Do you want to mute them in the meantime so that you can focus on other stuff? If so, we’re here to offer our help. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to mute and manage your notifications on WhatsApp.
Like most, if not all, messaging apps out there, you can manage your notifications on WhatsApp. You can disable it for all your chats or change how they work on your app overall.
So if you don’t need any alerts and notifications from your group or private chats, you can choose to disable them for some time or indefinitely. In this way, you can focus on other things without distractions.
With that in mind, we created a guide to help you. We’ll teach you how to mute or manage your notifications on WhatsApp.
How to mute individual chats on WhatsApp
If you don’t want to hear anything from some of your WhatsApp chats for some time, you can choose to mute them on the app. When you do, you won’t receive any alert when someone sends you a message through those chats.
You can mute your group and private chats on WhatsApp whether you’re using the desktop, web, or mobile app. Check our quick tutorials below to learn how.
On the Android app:
- On the list of your chats, open one of your group or private conversations.
- Tap More options (three-dot icon) on the upper-right corner and select Mute notifications on the menu.
- Choose the mute duration and select “OK” to confirm your decision.
Alternatively, you can select multiple conversations on your list of chats and press the mute option at the top of your screen. In this way, you get to manage the alerts for multiple chats at the same time.
As for those using WhatsApp on iOS, you can find the option to mute your notifications by navigating to Settings > Notifications > In-App Notifications.
On the desktop and web app:
- Open one of your group or private chats.
- Tap More options (three-dot icon) on the upper-right corner of the chat window and select Mute notifications on the menu.
- Choose the duration for the mute feature and confirm your decision.
On the other hand, you can hover on a conversation on your chats list, tap the drop-down arrow, and select Mute notifications from the menu.
How to manage all your notifications preferences on WhatsApp
You can change your notification preferences for all your WhatsApp messages, groups, and calls whether you’re using the desktop or mobile app. Follow our step-by-step guide below to learn how to do it from both.
- Open WhatsApp, and don’t forget to sign in to your account.
- Tap More options (three-dot icon) on the upper-right corner of your screen and select Settings on the menu.
- On the middle of the Settings page, tap Notifications.
- You can choose to turn off all the sounds, vibrate, and disable pop-up notifications for your groups, calls, and messages.
On iOS, the process is pretty much the same. You can find your notification preferences by navigating to Settings > Notifications.
On your computer:
- Launch the WhatsApp desktop app or visit its web browser client and link your account.
- Open the Menu (three-dot icon) and select Settings.
- Go to your Notification options.
- You can choose to disable sounds, alerts, previews, or all your notifications on the app.
That’s how you manage your notification preferences on WhatsApp. With this option, you don’t have to open each of your chats to mute them one by one.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to manage your notifications on WhatsApp, you can go ahead and mute some of your chats on the platform. As such, you can disable alerts from busy group chats or unimportant conversations.
Always remember that you can mute conversations for a set amount of time or indefinitely. When you choose the latter option, it will stay that way until you change your settings.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, hit the bookmark button, and visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.