How To Mute Notifications On Signal
Last Updated: April 16, 2021
Are you tired of frequent notifications from your Signal app? Do you want to disable all chat alerts or only a selected few? Either way, we’re here to offer our help. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to mute notifications on your Signal app. Whether you’re using the Android or desktop version, we got you covered.
Although chat notifications can keep people updated on new messages and call requests, they can be quite annoying at times. Especially if you receive them frequently, these alerts can be a nuisance when you’re busy.
Thankfully, Signal Messaging allows you to mute notifications on their app. You can choose to disable alerts for all your chats or a selected few. In this way, you get to receive chat notifications from important conversations only.
With that in mind, here’s our guide about muting notifications on Signal. Whether you want to disable them for all your chats or individually, all you have to do is follow our step-by-step instructions below.
How to mute all notifications on Signal
If you’re receiving too many messages and call alerts from Signal, you can mute them instead. You can even choose to customize your notifications by muting your messages, call requests, or both.
You can choose to mute all notifications or customize the alerts for each of your chats. In this section of our guide, we’ll show you how to do the former.
On the Android app:
- After signing in to the mobile app, tap your profile icon on the upper-left to open Settings. Alternatively, you can tap More options (three-dot icon) and select Settings from the menu.
- Open your Notification options.
- Turn off all your message notifications.
- Scroll down and disable your call notifications.
- Lastly, you can turn off event alerts when someone on your contacts joins Signal.
That’s how you mute all your notifications on Signal for Android. Please note that you have the option to disable chat, call, and event alerts separately.
On the desktop app:
- Click your profile icon and select Preferences from the menu. On the other hand, you can press Ctrl + Comma on your keyboard as a shortcut.
- Under the Notification section, disable all your notifications.
After disabling all your desktop notifications, you won’t receive any alerts from your chats, including calls and messages.
How to mute a single chat on Signal
Aside from disabling all your notifications on Signal, you have the option to mute some of your chats instead. In this way, you get to choose which conversations to mute.
With that in mind, here are some quick tutorials on how to mute a chat in Signal. Whether you’re using the desktop or Android app, we got you covered.
On the Android app:
- Open one of your group or private chats.
- Tap the chat’s icon on the upper-left corner of your screen to access its Settings.
- Toggle Mute notifications.
- Choose how long you want the disabled notifications to last. You can choose to mute the alerts for an hour up to a year.
On the desktop app:
- After signing in, open one of your group or private chats.
- On the upper-right corner of the chat window, click the drop-down arrow.
- Click Mute notifications and choose how long it lasts.
That’s how you mute notifications on a single chat on Signal. You won’t receive any alerts from the conversation until the designated time passes or unless you undo your decision.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to disable notifications on the Signal app, you can go ahead and select the ones you want to mute. You can choose to turn it off for all your conversations or a selected few.
Please note that these settings take effect unless you change them or until the designated time passes.
That’s all from us! For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, hit the bookmark button, and visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.