How To Mute Notifications On Discord
Last Updated: March 26, 2021
Are you tired of countless notifications from your Discord channels or servers? Do you want to disable them for some time or indefinitely? Either way, we’re here to help you. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to mute your server and channel notifications on Discord. Whether you’re using the mobile, desktop, or web app, we got you covered.
Chat notifications in Discord allow its users to stay updated with the latest messages and mentions on the channel or server. Although that’s the case, it can be quite distracting, especially if you receive frequent alerts on your device.
Fortunately, you have the option to mute a server, channel, or user in Discord. If that’s what you need, we have here a guide that can help you.
All you have to do is follow our tutorials below to disable your channel, server, and user notifications on your account. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to disable your server notifications on Discord
If you don’t want to hear continuous notifications from one of your servers on Discord, you have the option to disable it. You can choose to mute all alerts, including those that mention you on the server.
With that in mind, we’ll show you how to disable your server alerts in our step-by-step tutorials below. Whether you’re using Discord on your computer or mobile device, we got you covered.
On the desktop or web app:
- After signing-in to the Discord desktop or web app, right-click on the icon of the server you want to mute. Alternatively, you can click on the server’s name on the chat window instead.
- On the drop-down menu, click Notification Settings.
- Mute the server and set the duration. You can choose to disable your notification for 15 mins to 24 hours or until you turn it back on.
Note: The server won’t display any notifications unless someone mentions you when muted.
- If you don’t want to receive mentions and command notifications, you can choose to suppress them as well.
- If you want a channel or category to bypass these limitations, you can choose to override your default notification settings. To save the changes, click Done.
Always remember that muting your server disables the notifications for your account only. It won’t affect how other participants use Discord on their devices.
On the mobile app:
- Go to one of your servers and tap its name on the top of your screen to access more options.
- Tap Notifications.
- Select Mute server.
- Choose a duration for your notification setting.
That’s how you disable notifications on the Discord mobile app. If you don’t want to receive alerts from mentions and commands, you can choose to suppress these notifications on your settings.
How to mute a single channel in Discord
Instead of muting the whole server on Discord, you can choose to mute a single channel instead. In this way, you can disable the notifications for channels with a high volume of activity.
To mute a single channel on the Discord desktop or web app, open that channel and click the bell icon on the upper-right side of the chat window. When you do, you won’t receive any notifications on the channel unless someone mentions you.
As for mobile users, open one of your channels and tap its name on the top of your screen. Once the options show up, tap Notifications and set the duration for the setting.
How to mute a specific user in Discord
Aside from muting single channels or entire servers, you can choose to mute a user on Discord instead. When you do, you won’t hear them talk on the mic, and you won’t receive any notifications from the user.
On the desktop or web app:
- Open one of your servers by clicking an icon on the left side of your screen.
- On the server member’s list on the right side of the chat window, right-click on the user you want to mute.
- Once the menu shows up on your screen, select Mute.
Unfortunately, Discord users can’t mute individual users on the mobile app. You can only disable notifications for your channels and entire servers.
Always remember that muting a user lasts until you manually it off. So if you’re wondering why you can’t hear someone speaking on a channel, check if you used mute earlier.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to mute your servers, channels, and other users in Discord, you can go ahead and disable your notifications on the app. If you don’t want to receive alerts from mentions and commands, you can also choose to suppress these features from your settings.
That’s all we have on our guide about muting notifications on Discord. If you want to see more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly, and check our latest posts and updates.