How To Make A Video Call In Signal
Last Updated: March 5, 2021
Do you want to add a video feed to your calls in Signal? Do you prefer making video calls instead of sending messages? If so, we’re here to help you. In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to make a secure video call on Signal. Whether you’re using the app on your computer or mobile device, we got you covered.
Signal Messaging is a fast and secure messaging service that provides end-to-end encryption in all your messages on the app. As such, more people are looking to use the app as an alternative to WhatsApp.
Aside from secure messages, Signal now offers encrypted audio and video calls as well. All you have to do is open a conversation and tap the camera icon at the upper right side of your screen to do so.
While most people can find this option on their app easily, that’s not the case for everyone. If you’re unfamiliar with the features of Signal, we got you covered.
In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to video call in Signal, whether you’re on your desktop or mobile device. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to start a video call in Signal
To video call a contact on Signal, you need to open a new or existing conversation first and tap the camera icon at the upper right side of your screen. If you’re having some trouble finding the option on the app, don’t worry, we’re here to help you.
Follow our quick tutorial below to learn how to video call on Signal mobile and desktop.
- Open the Signal app from your home screen or app drawer. If it’s your first time using the app, you need to set up your account using your phone number.
- Start a new conversation by tapping the blue pencil at the bottom right side of your screen. You can also open one of your recent chats instead of starting a new one.
- Using the search bar, look for the person you want to call. Alternatively, you can browse your contacts and tap the one you want to call to open a new conversation.
- Tap the camera icon at the upper right corner of your screen to make a video call.
Note: Since Signal offers end-to-end encryption in video calls, you can only call users that have an account on the app.
- Change your audio, camera, microphone settings, and tap Start Call.
- Wait for the person to connect to your call. Your screen shows one of these statuses below.
- Calling: Waiting for your call to connect with your contact’s device.
- Ringing: If your contact is online and is ringing due to your call.
- Signal + timer: A timer starts once the contact answers your call.
Once your contact answers your call, you can toggle the camera icon on your screen to hide or show the video feed from your end. Please note that video calling on Signal Messaging is secure and encrypted, so you don’t have to worry much about security.
On your computer:
As for those using Signal on desktop, you can video call a user by heading to your chat conversation. Follow our step-by-step tutorial below to learn how.
- Open the Signal app on your desktop and link it to your phone by scanning the QR code. You can find the scanner on your phone by heading to Settings > Linked Devices.
- Select from one of your contacts on the left side of your screen to open a conversation.
- At the upper right side of the chat window, click the camera icon to start a video call. Please note that Signal needs access to your camera and microphone for you to call from your desktop.
- Adjust your camera and microphone settings and click “Start Call.” You can choose to turn off your camera or mute your microphone before starting a video call.
If you want to change your call and camera permissions, open your Preferences > Permissions and allow Signal to access your camera and microphone.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to start a video call with someone on Signal, you can go ahead and test it with your friends. Take note that each session has end-to-end encryption, so you have little to worry about privacy and security issues.
That’s everything we have on our guide about video calling on Signal. If you want more tips, tricks, and tutorials, come and visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.