How To Make A Read-only Group Chat On Signal
Last Updated: May 12, 2022
Do you want to create an announcement group chat on Signal? Or do you want a chat where only a few members can send messages? If so, you can manage the group permissions and choose who can send messages on the chat. Check our guide below to learn how.
By default, all members of a group chat on Signal can send messages and share media files. So after inviting your friends and other members to the conversation, they can immediately participate in the discussion.
However, we understand that some of you might want to create chats for official announcements or news. If that’s the case, you’ll want a chat where only a few people have permission to send a message.
Thankfully, Signal allows admins to change messaging permissions within the group that they manage. Admins can turn off the messaging option for non-admins within the chat.
Here’s our guide about disabling messages from regular members of a group chat on Signal.
How to disable messages within a group chat on Signal
If you want a group chat where only the admins can send messages, you can change the messaging permission options on your group. In this way, you can create a read-only chat for announcements and news that you want.
You can change messaging permissions for a group, whether you’re using the Signal desktop or mobile app. Follow our tutorials below, and we’ll show you the steps to do so.
On your phone:
- Launch Signal on your device and sign in to your account.
- Head to the group chat that you want to manage and tap its name on the conversation header.
- Select the Permissions option on the group information page.
- Tap the “Send messages” option to choose who can send messages within the chat.
- Select “Only admins” on the pop-up window and tap “OK” to confirm your decision.
That’s how you create a read-only group chat on Signal. Please note that other group admins can change the message permissions whenever they want, so make sure to communicate with them to avoid any problems in the future.
On your computer:
- Open the Signal desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Head to one of your group chats and click its name on the conversation header. Alternatively, you can click the drop-down arrow and select “Group settings” on the menu.
- Scroll down and click “Permissions.”
- Click the drop-down menu on the right side of the “Who can send messages?” section and select the “Only admins” option.
If you want to allow one of your members to send messages, you can promote them to an admin position. However, please note that admins can have more permissions over regular members within the group.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to manage the messaging permissions of a group on Signal, you can create a read-only chat for important announcements, projects, or news. If you ever change your mind, you can always enable the chat option for regular members whenever you want.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently and read our latest posts and updates.