How To Make A Public Team Private On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: June 24, 2022
Do you want to stop people in your organization from joining one of your teams on Microsoft Teams? Do you want to add new members strictly by your invitation? If so, you can make the team private in your organization. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to change your team’s privacy settings.
In Microsoft Teams, users can create teams for specific projects or work for their organization. Each team can have a different privacy option depending on the owner.
Once you create a team, you have the option to edit it whenever you want. You can choose the privacy option to allow or prevent other organization members to join the team without your invitation.
By making one of your teams private, people can only join it after one of the team owners sends them an invitation. Here’s our guide about making an existing team a private one on Microsoft Teams.
How to change the privacy setting of a team on Microsoft Teams
If you want to make a team public or private, you can change its privacy settings. As the owner, you have the right to manage your team to prevent or allow other users within your organization to join without an invitation.
You can change the privacy setting of your team whether you’re using the Teams app on your computer or phone. In our step-by-step tutorials below, we’ll cover the steps on both devices.
On your phone:
- Launch the Teams mobile app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap “Teams” at the bottom of your screen.
- Browse your teams and tap “More options” beside the one that you want to manage.
- Select the “Edit team” option on the menu that appears on your screen.
- Tap the Privacy option on the Edit team page.
- Select the one that you want to apply to the team and tap the arrow on the top left corner.
- Tap the checkmark on the top right to apply the changes.
That’s how you make a team private on Microsoft Teams. As a team owner, you have full permission to change its details or settings whenever you want.
On your computer:
- Launch the Teams desktop or web app and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Teams tab by selecting it from the sidebar.
- Hover to the team you want to manage, select More options (three dots icon), and select “Edit Team” from the menu.
- Click the drop-down arrow below the Privacy section and select the one that you want to use.
- Click Done to confirm your decision.
When you make one of your teams private, only you as the team owner can add new members. On the other hand, making it public allows everyone in your organization to join the team.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to change the privacy settings on one of your teams, you can make an existing one private whenever you want. If you ever change your mind, you can always edit the team as the owner.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.