How To Make A Group Private In GroupMe
Last Updated: August 24, 2022
Do you want to prevent regular members from inviting more people into your group on GroupMe? Or do you want only to allow admins to manage and edit the group’s members? In any case, you can change your permissions on your group conversations on the app. Check our quick guide below to learn how.
By default, every member of your group chat can add more members to the conversation. They can also edit its members and remove people from the chat.
However, we understand that some of you prefer a more private group where only the admins can manage the members. If that’s the case, you can change the permission settings of the group, only allowing admins to add and remove people from the chat.
Here’s our guide about editing your group permissions on GroupMe.
How to edit make an existing group private on GroupMe
If you want to make sure that only you and the admins can add and remove members from your group in GroupMe, you can change the privacy settings and permissions on the chat. In this way, only a few people can manage and edit the conversation members.
You can edit a group’s privacy whether you’re using GroupMe on your computer or mobile device. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll teach you how to do it from both devices.
On your phone:
- Open the GroupMe app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Go to the group chat that you want to manage and tap its avatar on the conversation header.
- Select “Settings” on the sidebar that appears on your screen.
- Tap the Permissions option under the Privacy section.
- Select “Admins only” as the people who can edit and manage the group.
That’s how you make a group private on the GroupMe mobile app. By changing your group permissions, you can prevent regular members from adding or removing members in the conversation.
On your computer:
- Open the GroupMe Windows app and sign in to your account.
- Go to the group chat that you want to manage and select “Settings” from the sidebar.
- Toggle the Closed group option on the Settings tab.
- Click “Enable” on the pop-up window to confirm your decision.
By only allowing admins and the owner to manage the group’s members, you can prevent random people from joining your group chat. Using the Closed group option also allows the admins to regulate and manage the conversation members much easier.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to manage your group’s permission settings, you can now change them to make your conversation more private. By giving permission to edit the chat members to your admins only, you can prevent random people from entering your group.
That’s it! If you want more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.