How To Make A Community Server In Discord
Last Updated: October 8, 2021
Do you want to add more administrative tools to your server in Discord? Or do you want to create a public space where everyone that shares the same interests can gather and discuss with other members? In any case, you can set up a Community Server in Discord. Check our guide below to learn how.
Aside from creating public and private servers in Discord, you can set up a Community Server on your Settings to access more tools to run and moderate your server. For example, you can customize your welcome screen, add a channel for the guidelines, check how your community is doing with Server Insight, and more.
If you think that these administrative tools can help you promote, grow, and run your server, you can enable the Community Server feature. However, please note that you’ll need to toggle a few settings and permissions to use this feature.
With that in mind, here’s our guide on how to enable Community Server in Discord.
How to set up a Community Server in Discord
If you want to have a space where people with the same interests can discuss with others while minimizing abuse, spam, and trolling, you can set up a Community Server on Discord. This feature gives you access to more tools that can help you manage, grow, and run your server.
You can enable the Community Server feature whether you’re using Discord on your desktop or mobile device. Check our step-by-step tutorials below to find everything you need to know about doing so on either device.
On your computer:
- Open the Discord app (desktop or web) on your computer and sign in to your account.
- Go to one of the servers you currently own. If you don’t have any, create one from scratch by clicking the plus icon at the bottom of the servers list.
- Click the server’s name at the top left side of the screen and select “Server Settings” on the menu.
- Under the Community section, click “Enable Community” and select the “Get Started” button.
- Enable verification level for all members, explicit media content filter, and click Next.
- Set up the rules and community updates channels and click Next. You can choose from one of your existing channels or allow Discord to create one for you.
- Put checks on all the boxes and make sure to understand the Community Guidelines from Discord before selecting “Finish Setup.”
After enabling the Community Server feature, it’s time for you to fill up your rules and guidelines channel. You can also set up a welcome screen for new members that join in the future.
Make sure to assign a moderator team to help enforce your rules on the server. Add people that can build trust between the community and ones that they can turn to for help.
On the Discord mobile app:
- Go to one of the servers you own and tap its name on the top of the app.
- On the options that appear on your screen, tap the Settings icon.
- Under Community Settings, tap “Enable Community.”
- Tap the “Get Started” button to set up your community.
- Keep your community safe by requiring email verification for users and scan their messages with the explicit content feature. Tap Next to continue.
- Set up the channels for the guidelines and community updates of the server, and tap Next.
- Make sure to enable everything on the Finishing Touches section and read the Community Guidelines before hitting the “Finish Setup” button.
Always refer to the Community Guidelines if you’re still not familiar with the rules of using a Community Server. Violating these guidelines may result in your server losing its Community status and ability to be discoverable on the app.
Creating a community in Discord
Now that you know how to start a Community Server in Discord, you can convert one of your channels into one whenever you want. If you ever change your mind, navigate to Server Settings > Community > Overview and click “Disable Community.”
If you’re planning to add your community to the Discovery section, it needs to have at least 7000 members, a safe environment, sufficient activity, and a 2FA authentication for all moderators.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, check our site frequently, and browse our daily posts and updates.