How To Leave A Team On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: December 3, 2021
Do you no longer need to participate in one of your teams in Microsoft Teams? If that’s the case, you can voluntarily leave the team without the help of an admin of your organization. If you’re having trouble finding the option to do so, follow our quick guide below. We’ll show you the steps about leaving a team, whether you’re using Teams on your phone or computer.
An organization in Microsoft Teams can consist of multiple different teams for specific purposes. Each team can be for short or long-term goals projects for your company.
As time passes, a team may lose or complete its purpose for your organization. As such, you can leave the group to remove them from your active teams on the app.
Here’s our guide about removing yourself from a team on Microsoft Teams.
How to leave a team in MS Teams
If you no longer want to be a part of a team in your organization, you can leave it whenever you want. As such, you can exit inactive groups to organize your Teams tab on the app.
Leaving a team is possible through the Teams app on your phone or computer. Check our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll show you the steps to do so on both.
On your computer:
- Open the Teams desktop or web app and sign in to your organization.
- Click Teams on the left side of your screen.
- Hover your mouse pointer to one of your teams, click the three dots icon on the right, and select “Leave team” on the menu.
- Once the pop-up window appears on your screen, click “Leave the team” to confirm your decision.
That’s how you leave a team on MS Teams. If you ever change your mind, you can ask one of the group members to add you back.
If you’re a team owner, there needs to be at least one more owner before you can leave the team. If there isn’t one, you can manage the team and promote one of its members.
On your Android device:
- Open the Teams app on your phone and sign in to one of your organizations.
- Tap Teams at the bottom of your screen.
- Check your current teams and tap the three dots icon on the right.
- On the menu that appears on your screen, tap “Leave Team.”
- Once the pop-up window appears, tap OK to confirm your decision.
Once you leave a team, you can no longer view or add posts to its channels. However, other users can always add you back to the group if you ever change your mind.
Like we mentioned earlier, you can only leave a team as an owner if there’s another owner besides yourself.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to leave a team on Microsoft Teams, you can go ahead exit inactive teams on your organization. In this way, you can organize your Teams tab and focus only on your active conversations.
Although you can leave a team whenever you want, only an admin can remove you from the organization.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently for our latest posts and updates.