How To Leave A Group On Signal
Last Updated: November 24, 2021
Do you no longer wish to participate in one of your group chats on Signal? Or is the conversation no longer active? In any case, you can leave any group conversation on your account. In our quick guide below, we’ll show you how to do it from the Signal desktop or mobile app.
In Signal, users can create or join groups to communicate and chat with multiple people in a single conversation. As such, you can start plans with your friends in one place.
Group chats on Signal are secure, and the app doesn’t have a record of your group members, title, avatars, and other stuff. You can chat with your friends without worrying about the security of your messages.
As time passes, a group chat might become inactive, or you may lose interest in the conversation. Whenever these things happen, you can leave the conversation whenever you want.
By leaving a group, you are removing the conversation from your chats list on the app. You won’t receive any messages in the future unless someone adds you back to the chat.
With that in mind, here’s our guide about leaving a group on Signal.
How to leave one of your groups on Signal
If you no longer wish to be a part of a group chat on Signal, you can leave it whenever you want. When you do, you won’t receive messages and files sent to the conversation in the future.
You can leave a group chat on Signal whether you’re using their mobile or desktop app. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll cover everything you need to know from both apps.
On your Android device:
- Launch the Signal app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open the group chat that you want to leave and tap the three dots icon on the top right corner of the conversation.
- On the menu that appears, select “Group Settings.”
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select “Leave group.”
- Once the pop-up window appears on your screen, tap “Leave” to confirm your decision.
Once you leave a group, you won’t receive any new messages or files shared in the conversation in the future. If you ever change your mind, you can ask one of the members to add you back to the chat.
On your computer:
- Open the Signal desktop app and link your account by scanning the QR code with your phone.
- Head to the group chat that you want to leave.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the top right corner of the conversation and select “Group settings” from the menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the settings page and click the “Leave group” option.
- On the pop-up window that appears on your screen, select “Leave” to confirm your decision.
You can always leave any group chat on Signal whenever you want. If you’re an admin or the creator of a group chat, you might need to assign someone else to replace your position before you can leave.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to leave a group on Signal, you can remove yourself from inactive chats or conversations you no longer want to use. Like we mentioned earlier, you can always re-join a group once you receive an invitation from one of its members.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials from us, visit our page regularly, and read our latest posts and updates.