How To Leave A Group On Messenger
Last Updated: September 16, 2021
Are you tired of being a member of an inactive group chat on your Messenger account? Or are you bored of the conversations within the chat? In any case, you can leave the group any time you want. With that in mind, we have here a guide for you. We’ll show you how to leave group chats on Facebook Messenger.
Aside from communicating with your friends one-on-one, you can also join or create group chats on Facebook Messenger. This feature allows your group to talk in a single conversation.
While it’s no surprise that people are active on new group chats, the conversation may die down in a few days, weeks, or months. After some time, you might have a couple of groups that no one uses anymore.
There are also situations where you’re not fond of the group members or the conversation on the chat. Whichever the case, you can opt to leave your inactive groups behind on Messenger. Follow our quick guide below to learn how.
How to leave one of your group chats on Facebook Messenger
If you no longer need one of your group chats on Messenger, you can leave it any time you want. When you do, you won’t receive calls, messages, and notifications from the conversation in the future.
You can leave a group whether you’re using Messenger on your phone or computer. With that in mind, here are our tutorials on doing it on either device.
On your computer:
- Visit Messenger using your preferred web browser and sign in to your account.
- Hover on the group you want to leave and click More options (three dots icon).
- On the menu that appears, click Leave group.
- Once the pop-up appears on your screen, click the Leave Group button to confirm your decision.
Once you leave the group, everyone participating in the conversation will know about your decision. If you don’t want that extra attention, you can opt to mute the chat instead.
If you ever change your mind, you can always ask one of the group members to add you back.
On the mobile app:
- Open Messenger on your device and sign in to your account.
- Go to the group chat where you want to leave.
- Tap the information icon at the top right corner of the conversation.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the options and select Leave group.
- Tap the Leave Group button to confirm your decision.
Please note that leaving a group won’t remove the messages you sent on the chat previously. When someone adds you back, you can read all the messages on the group while you’re away.
To wrap things up
Although group chats on Messenger are a great way to communicate with your friends and other contacts in a single conversation, some of them don’t last forever. If you don’t want to have unused group chats on your account, you can permanently leave the conversation for good.
That’s everything we have on our guide about leaving a group chat on Messenger. For more tips and tutorials from us, visit our site regularly, and don’t forget to read our daily posts and updates.