How To Leave A Group Chat On WhatsApp
Last Updated: November 29, 2021
Do you no longer want to participate in a group on WhatsApp? Or is the group inactive for a long time? In any case, you can leave the group chat whenever you want. In our quick guide below, we’ll show you how to exit group conversations on WhatsApp.
In WhatsApp, you can join or group chats with your contacts and other users on the app. In this way, you can start discussions with multiple people in a single conversation.
As time passes, you may lose interest in a group conversation. It can also become inactive without any new messages after some time.
In any case, you can leave and exit a group conversation any time you want. Here’s our guide about doing so on the WhatsApp desktop and web app.
How to leave a group on WhatsApp
If you no longer want to participate in a WhatsApp group, you can leave the conversation any time you want. When you do, you won’t receive notifications and messages from the chat in the future.
You can leave a group chat whether you’re using WhatsApp on your phone or computer. Follow our quick tutorials below to learn how.
On your mobile device:
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Go to the group chat that you want to leave and tap the three dots icon on the top right corner of the conversation header.
- On the menu that appears on your screen, tap More > “Exit group.”
- Once the pop-up window appears, tap “Exit” to confirm your decision.
Alternatively, you can tap and hold on to one of the groups on your chats list on the app. After selecting the group, tap More options (three dots icon) on the top right corner of the app and select “Exit group” from the menu.
If you’re having second thoughts about whether to leave the group or not, you can archive the conversation in the meantime. In this way, you can hide the group from your chats list to organize your active conversations.
On your computer:
- Open the WhatsApp desktop or web app and sign in to your account.
- Head to the conversation you want to leave.
- Tap More options (three dots icon) on the right side of the header and select “Exit group” from the menu.
- Once the pop-up window appears on your screen, click “Exit Group” to confirm your decision.
Alternatively, you can hover on a group on the chats list, click the drop-down arrow, and select “Exit group” from the menu. After leaving a group, you can join it again if someone sends you an invitation or adds you back to the conversation.
Like we mentioned earlier, you can archive conversations that you no longer use on WhatsApp. In this way, you can still access the chat’s message history while hiding it from your active conversations.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to exit a group on WhatsApp, you can leave conversations you no longer need any time you want. If you ever change your mind, you can ask one of the existing members to add you back to the group chat.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips, tricks, and tutorials from us, visit our page frequently and read our latest posts and updates.