How To Hide Your Stories On Instagram
Last Updated: February 16, 2023
Do you want to prevent some of your followers from viewing your stories on Instagram? Do you want to do so without blocking them from the app? If that’s the case, you can change who can view your stories on the app and hide them from specific users. We’ll show you how to do it in our quick guide below.
On Instagram, users can post stories that last on their profile for a day. This feature allows you to share events in your life without flooding your profile page.
However, we understand that there are situations where you want to prevent some users from viewing your stories on the app. Thankfully, you can hide your stories from people on the app without blocking their accounts.
Here’s our guide about hiding stories on Instagram.
How to hide your stories from specific people on Instagram
If you don’t want one of your followers to see the stories you post on Instagram, you can use the hide option on your app settings. In this way, you won’t need to remove the person from your followers or block their account.
You can change your story viewing settings from the Instagram web or mobile app. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you the steps to do so.
On your phone:
- Open the Instagram app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Go to your profile page and tap the three lines on the top right.
- Select “Settings & Privacy” on the menu.
- Tap the “Hide story from” option from the “Who can see your content” section.
- Select the people that you don’t want to see the stories you post on the app.
After hiding your stories from people on the app, they won’t be able to view any of the stories you post in the future. This applies to people that are on your close friends list on the app as well.
You can unhide a story from someone by tapping the check icon to unselect them from the list.
On your computer:
- Visit the Instagram web app and sign in to your account.
- Tap More on the bottom left and select Settings from the menu.
- Head to the “How others can interact with you” tab and select the “Edit story settings” option under the Story section.
- Click “Hide story from” under the Viewing section and select people from the list to hide your future stories from them.
Hiding a story from someone won’t notify the person about your decision. This option takes effect wherever your story appears on the app.
Unlike blocking, hiding a story from someone doesn’t prevent them from messaging you or viewing your posts on the app. As such, you won’t need to cut off someone completely from contacting you on the app to hide your stories.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to hide stories on Instagram, you can prevent specific users from viewing your stories on the app without blocking them. If you ever change your mind, you can always unhide the stories from people on Instagram.
That’s everything we have in our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our daily posts and updates.