How To Hide Your Online Status In Telegram
Last Updated: January 28, 2021
Do you want to prevent other people from seeing if you’re online on Telegram? Or do you want to show it to your contacts only? Either way, you can choose to hide your online status from your privacy settings. If you’re new to Telegram, don’t worry, we’re here to help you.
Like most messaging apps, Telegram has an online status function in which users can check if someone is currently active on the platform. With the help of this feature, you can view if your friend is available for a chat.
But on the other hand, other users can see if you’re active as well. Aside from your contacts, even strangers and stalkers can check if you’re online.
Fortunately, you can choose to hide your online status from other people. If you can’t find the option to do so, don’t worry, we’ll teach you how to choose the people that can view your “last seen” time on Telegram.
How to hide your “Last Seen” status in Telegram
If you want to keep people from seeing your last seen time on Telegram, you can choose to hide your “Last Seen” status. Instead of displaying your online status to everyone, Telegram shows them your recent activity.
But aside from that, hiding your last seen time also prevents you from seeing other people’s online status as well. So if you want to prevent people from seeing your activity, you’ll lose the same feature on your end as well.
If you want to hide your online status, follow our step-by-step tutorial below. Whether you’re using Telegram on your computer or Android device, we got you covered.
- Launch the Telegram app on your app drawer and sign-in to your account.
- At the upper left side of your screen, tap the three horizontal lines to open the app’s menu.
- Tap your icon to open your profile page. Alternatively, you can select Settings to access your profile as well.
- Under the Settings section, tap Privacy and Security.
- Change your “Last Seen & Online” options.
- Choose who can view your online status. You can choose to hide it from everyone or from those who are not on your contacts.
- You can also add users and groups to your exceptions list. With this feature, you can choose to hide or show your status to people regardless of your status settings.
- Tap the checkmark on the upper right side of your screen and confirm your decision to save the changes.
After choosing the people that can view your online status, your decision also changes how you see other people on the app. Instead of seeing whether someone is online, Telegram shows you the person’s recent activity.
On your computer:
- Launch the Telegram desktop app or visit and sign-in with your phone number.
- Click the three horizontal lines at the upper left side of your screen to open the menu.
- Click Settings > Privacy and Security.
- Under the Privacy section, select “Last seen & online.”
- Choose to show your last seen time to your contacts only or hide them from everyone. You can also choose to exempt some of your contacts from your online status settings.
- Click Save.
- Select Continue to confirm your decision and apply the changes.
Although you can hide your online status and exact last seen time from people on Telegram, they can still see an approximation of your latest activity, like “last seen recently” or “last seen in a month.”
As we said before, hiding your online status works both ways. So if you choose to hide it from everyone, you won’t be able to view anyone’s activity as well.
With that in mind, you can choose to show your last seen time to your contacts only. In turn, your family and friends can see your online status while hiding it from strangers.
To sum it all up
Although your online status can help your contacts tell if you’re up for a chat, your strangers can know as well. Fortunately, you can protect your online privacy to some degree by disabling the feature on your app.
To hide your online status on Telegram, navigate to Privacy Settings and change your “Last Seen” options. You can choose to show it to your contacts only or hide it from everyone on the platform.
Please note that using hiding your online status disables the feature on your end as well. In turn, Telegram also hides other people’s last seen time from you.
That’s all we have on our guide! For the latest tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.