How To Find My Number On WhatsApp
Last Updated: December 19, 2020
Do you plan to use your new phone number as the one associated with your WhatsApp account? Or are you wondering what number you used to register on the platform? In any case, you can always check the registered number on your WhatsApp profile page from your mobile device. But if you’re not familiar with your account settings, we have a quick guide that can teach you to view your number.
In most cases, people use their current and active phone number to register on messaging apps like WhatsApp. In this way, other people can find them easily on the platform.
But for those who don’t know, you can always change the phone number associated with your WhatsApp account. The feature is helpful in case you have a new SIM card for your device.
By changing your number, you get to register a new number on your WhatsApp account while retaining all of your chat history and data. But before you update your number, you must first check for the one currently registered on your account.
How to find your account’s number on WhatsApp
If you’re not sure whether you’re using your new number or the old one on your WhatsApp account, you can check the registered number on your profile page.
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer.
- At the top right corner of your screen, tap More options (three-dot icon) and select Settings.
- Tap your profile photo to access your profile information.
- At the bottom of the page, you can find the number associated with your account.
As for iPhone users, you can also find your number on your profile page. To navigate to your profile, open Settings on your WhatsApp and tap your picture.
If you’re using the desktop or web browser app, you can’t view the phone number associated with your account. You have to switch to your phone and view the number from on the WhatsApp mobile app.
How to change your WhatsApp phone number
If you found out that you’re still using your old number on WhatsApp, you can update and change it to your new one. As long as the new one has a cellular connection and can receive messages, you can use it and associate it with your account.
Note: By changing your phone number, you get to move your account info and settings.
Here’s how to change your WhatsApp number on Android:
- Launch WhatsApp on your device.
- Tap More options (three-dot icon) and go to Settings > Account.
- Tap Change Number > Next.
- Enter your old and new number on the appropriate text fields and tap Next. Make sure to include the area code since WhatsApp requires you to use the international format for your numbers.
- You can choose whether to notify all your contacts or a selected few about changing your number. Regardless of your choice, group chats automatically receive a notification. Click Next to continue.
- Tap Done.
- Verify your new number through SMS.
For iPhone users:
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone.
- Navigate to Settings > Account.
- Tap Change Number and select Next.
- Enter your numbers, old and new, and tap Next to continue.
- You can choose whether to notify your contacts about changing your phone number.
- Tap Done and proceed to verify your number through SMS.
As for desktop and web app users, you can’t change your number through the version you’re using. You have to switch devices and open WhatsApp on your phone if you want to do so.
How to change your WhatsApp account on a new device
If you want to change accounts on a new device, reinstall WhatsApp, verify your number, and restore your backup from Google Drive or iCloud. Just remember that you can’t transfer your data from Android to iPhone and vice versa.
While Android uses Google Drive for their backups, iPhone uses iCloud. As such, there’s no way to recover your data across these devices. While there are third-party apps that you can use out there, we don’t recommend sharing your data and chat history without checking if they’re safe or not.
To sum it all up
Now that you know how to find your number on WhatsApp, you can now check if the one registered on your account is your old or new phone number. By doing so, you get to know whether you have to update your profile or not.
If you’re still using your old number, you can choose to update your profile information and change it to your new one. In turn, you won’t lose your account or any of your chat history and data.
That’s all from us! If you want to view our latest guides, visit us regularly for our daily updates. Don’t forget to click the bookmark button as well, while you’re at it.