How To Enable Default Disappearing Messages On Signal
Last Updated: March 22, 2022
Are you tired of setting up disappearing messages on your new chats on Signal? Do you want to use the feature on all conversations that you start in the future? If so, you can enable default disappearing messages on the app. Check our guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
In Signal, you can enable disappearing messages on your chats. With the help of this feature, you can delete messages automatically after some time passes.
Back then, you’ll need to configure each of your conversations to use disappearing messages on the chat. Thankfully, Signal added a new option that allows users to set a default timer for all new chats they start on the app.
Here’s our guide about using default disappearing messages on Signal.
How to enable disappearing messages on new conversations in Signal
If you want to use disappearing messages for new conversations you start on the Signal app, you can set a default timer for your new chats. Whenever you start a new conversation with your contacts on the app, your messages will disappear after the set amount of time.
You can enable default disappearing messages, whether you’re using the Signal desktop or mobile app. Follow our tutorials below, and we’ll cover the steps to do so on both devices.
On your phone:
- Open the Signal app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap your icon on the top left side of the chats list. Alternatively, you can tap the three dots icon on the upper right and select “Settings” on the menu.
- Head to your Privacy settings.
- Tap “Default timer for new chats” under the Disappearing messages section.
- Select the duration you prefer and tap Done at the bottom of the screen to confirm your decision.
That’s how you set up default disappearing messages on Signal. When you start a new conversation, new messages within the chat disappear after the set time passes.
Please note that enabling this feature doesn’t affect existing chats on your account. You’ll need to manually change your settings on each conversation to use the disappearing messages feature.
On the Signal desktop app:
- After opening the app, click “File” on the upper left side of your screen and select “Preferences” on the menu.
- Head to the Privacy tab.
- Click the drop-down arrow beside “Default timer for new chats” and select the duration you prefer.
You can choose the default timer from 30 seconds to 4 weeks. However, you can also choose to set a custom time for your disappearing messages in new conversations.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to use default disappearing messages on Signal, you can set a timer for messages for your new chats on the app. In this way, there’s no need to configure each new conversation you start with your contacts.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently and read our latest posts and updates.