How To Enable Captions On Google Meet
Last Updated: October 20, 2022
Are you having trouble hearing other users during your meetings on Google Meet? Do you want to try using subtitles to make it easier for you to understand what other people are saying during your meetings? If so, you can enable the meeting captions on the app. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
There are a lot of factors that can affect your meetings on Google Meet. For example, having a lot of background noise can make it harder for you to hear what the speaker is saying during the video conference.
Thankfully, Google Meet has a subtitle feature that you can use during your meetings. When you toggle the caption option, the app will try to make a subtitle from what the current speaker is saying.
Here’s our guide about using captions on Google Meet.
How to turn on subtitles on Google Meet
If you’re having trouble hearing other people during your meetings on Google Meet due to background noise on your end, you can turn on the captions feature. As long as the app supports the language the speaker is using, it will try to show subtitles for it.
You can toggle captions whether you’re using Google Meet on your mobile device or computer. Check our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both.
On your computer:
- Open the Google Meet web client on your favorite browser and sign in to your account.
- Join an existing meeting by using a code or link. On the other hand, you can start an instant meeting and be the host.
- Once you’re inside the meeting room, click the captions icon among the options at the bottom of the window to turn on subtitles for your meeting.
If you want to change the language of the subtitles, navigate to More options (three dots icon) > Settings > Captions. As of now, you can choose up to six languages for the captions during your meeting.
On your phone:
- Launch Google Meet on your device and sign in to your account.
- Start a new meeting or join an existing one.
- After joining the meeting room, tap More options (three dots icon) at the bottom of your screen.
- Once the menu appears, select the “Show captions” option.
You can change the caption settings by tapping More options and selecting “Settings” from the menu. You can choose to change the language to the one the speaker is using during the meeting.
Please note that captions won’t appear on call recordings on the app. Once you change the language, the one you select becomes the default language for all your captions in the future until you edit it.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to enable captions on Google Meet, you can now use subtitles during your meetings on the app. Please note that captions only appear on your app, and other participants won’t be able to see them unless they also turned it on.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.