How To Enable 2FA On Instagram
Last Updated: March 15, 2022
Are you worried about the security of your Instagram account? Do you want to add another security layer to protect your account from unauthorized users? If so, you can enable two-factor authentication on the app. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to use 2FA on the Instagram web and mobile app.
You can log in to your Instagram account on a new device fairly easily. All you have to do is enter your credentials or sign in with Facebook to access your account.
While this easy log-in process is surely convenient for most users, some people worry about the safety of their accounts. Thankfully, Instagram has an optional two-factor authentication feature to help you protect your account.
Here’s our guide about using 2FA on Instagram.
How to enable two-factor authentication on Instagram
If you want to add another layer of protection to your Instagram account, you can enable 2FA on your account. In this way, anyone that tries to sign in to your account will need the verification codes to continue.
You can enable the 2FA whether you’re using the Instagram web or mobile app. Check our quick tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both.
On your Android device:
- Launch Instagram from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Head to your profile by tapping your icon on the bottom right side of the app and select the hamburger icon on the top right corner of the page to open the menu.
- Once the menu appears on your screen, select the Settings option.
- Head to your Security settings.
- Tap “Two-factor authentication” and select the “Get started” button at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose the security option where you prefer to get your verification codes.
- Follow the instructions on your screen and enter the confirmation code to confirm your decision.
On the Instagram mobile app, you have the option to choose whether to get your codes from an authenticator app, WhatsApp, or through SMS. Select the method you prefer or the one that suits you best.
On your computer:
- Visit Instagram on your preferred web browser and sign in to your account.
- Click your profile icon on the upper right side of the screen and select Settings from the menu.
- Go to your “Privacy and Security” tab.
- Scroll down and select the “Edit Two-Factor Authentication Setting” option.
- Click the box beside “Use Text Message” and click “Turn on” on the pop-up window.
- Enter your phone number and click Next. Enter the confirmation code you received through SMS and click Done to confirm your decision.
When managing your 2FA settings on the Instagram web app, you can only use text messages as the method to get verification codes. If you want to use an authenticator app, you’ll need to open the mobile app and enable two-factor authentication from there.
After enabling 2FA, anyone, including you, needs the verification codes to sign in and access your account. You can mark a device as “trusted” so that you don’t need to enter the security codes when you try to sign in again.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to enable 2FA on Instagram, you can have another layer of security to help protect your account from other users. Make sure to get the recovery codes in case you lose the method of getting your verification codes.
That’s it! For more tutorials from us, visit our page regularly, and read our daily posts and updates.