How To Edit Your Status On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: January 6, 2021
Do you want your teammates to know that you’re currently busy or unavailable on Microsoft Teams? Or do you want to appear offline so that no one bothers you while you’re working? Either way, you have the option to change your status on Microsoft Teams. If you’re not familiar with this feature on Teams, we have a quick guide that can help you.
Some people can’t reply to messages immediately because they’re busy or unavailable. In any case, you can always give your teammates a heads up so that they know why you can’t respond to their chats.
On Microsoft Teams, you can update your status to tell your workmates that you’re online, busy, or away from your device. You can also add a message so that you can explain why you’re not available.
If you don’t know how to update your status on Teams, follow our step-by-step tutorial below. As a bonus, we’ll also teach you about setting your status message on the platform.
How to change your status on Microsoft Teams
If you want other people to know when you’re not available, busy, or away, you can choose to change your status on Teams. For those who don’t know about this feature, the dot beside your profile picture indicates whether you’re available, busy, or offline on the platform.
While Teams automatically updates your status depending on your activity, you have the option to set it manually. To do this on the desktop app or web browser client, all you have to do is click your Profile picture at the top left side of your screen, select your status, and choose among the available options.
If you’re using the mobile app, open the menu (three horizontal lines), tap your status, and choose which one to display.
Here are all of the status options you can use:
- Available: The default status when you’re active on Teams. It automatically changes to “Away” if your app is in the background or if your computer is idle, locked, or on sleep mode.
- Busy: When you’re in a call or meeting, Teams automatically uses this option as your status. You can also use it if you’re busy working and you want to show the notifications.
- Do not disturb: Disables all pop-up notifications.
- Be right back: You can use this option if you’re out for a quick break.
- Away: You can use this if you want others to know that you can’t respond to messages right away.
- Offline: Use this status if you want to use Teams without anyone knowing you’re online.
Each of these options has a corresponding dot and color that allows other users to see your availability with ease. Also, Teams can automatically change your status if you’re on a call, meeting, or if you’re offline.
How to add a status message on Microsoft Teams
Aside from changing your status, you can also add a message if you want others to know what you’re up to or why you’re busy or not available. Depending on the duration you choose, these messages can last for an hour, day, week, or until you delete or change it.
On your computer:
- Open the Teams desktop app or web browser client and sign-in to your account.
- On the top-left side of your screen, click your Profile Photo.
- If you’re using the desktop app, hover your mouse pointer over your status message and click the Edit icon.
But if you’re using Teams on your web browser, click “Set status message.”
- Type your message on the field. Try to keep your status relatively short as you can only write up to 280 characters. You can use “@” to mention or tag another user in your message.
- You can choose whether to show your status every time someone mentions or messages you. It’s useful when you’re not available due to emergencies, sick leaves, and day-offs.
- Set how long you want to display your message. You can choose to clear your message after an hour, day, week, or a custom time and date. You can also opt to display your status until you delete or change it in the future.
- Click “Done” to save the changes.
- Launch the Teams app from your home screen or app drawer and sign-in to your account.
- Open the menu by tapping the three horizontal lines at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Tap “Set status message.”
- Type your status, choose whether to show your message every time someone else mentions you or not, and set its duration.
- Tap the checkmark at the top right corner of your screen to save the changes.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to set your status on Teams, you can now show other users if you’re busy or currently unavailable on the platform. You can also add a status message that shows up whenever someone mentions you.
That’s all from us! For the latest tips, tricks, and guides, visit us regularly for our daily updates.