How To Disable Your Gmail Notifications
Last Updated: April 4, 2021
Are you thinking about taking a break from work-related email notifications? Do you want to disable these alerts in the meantime? If that’s the case, we have here a guide for you. We’ll show you how to turn off your mail notifications on Gmail. Whether you’re using the web or mobile app, we got you covered.
Although notifications keep us updated with important and new emails, having too many alerts can distract you in your daily life. If you’re the type of person that checks their phone or computer frequently, I’m sure that you can relate to that.
Thankfully, Gmail allows you to turn off all your notifications, whether it’s an important email or a new one. If that’s what you want to do, we have here a guide for you.
In our guide below, we’ll show you how to disable mail notifications and alerts on Gmail. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to turn off your notifications in Gmail
If you want to take a break from receiving countless email notifications, you can choose to disable them in the meantime. You can find the option to do so on the Settings of your Gmail account.
Whether you’re using Gmail on your phone or web browser, you can turn off your notifications for important, new, or all your emails. Follow our tutorials below to learn how.
On your computer:
- Using your preferred web browser, visit the Gmail website, and sign in to your account.
- Near the upper-right corner of your screen, click the gear icon and select “See all settings” on the menu.
- Under the General tab, look for the Desktop notification settings and turn off your mail notifs.
- Scroll down at the bottom of the Settings page and click Save Changes.
That’s how you disable all your mail notifications on the Gmail web app. Once you’re ready to receive alerts for new or important emails, you can change your settings anytime you want.
On the mobile app:
- Open the menu by tapping the three horizontal lines at the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down at the bottom of the menu and tap Settings.
- Among the options available on your screen, select your account.
- Under the Notifications section, change your notification preferences.
- Once the pop-up appears on your screen, tap None.
After disabling your notifications, you won’t receive any alerts from Gmail whenever you have new emails. If you want the app to notify you about important emails, you can choose to enable high-priority notifications.
Please note that if you have multiple accounts signed in on the Gmail mobile app, you need to change your settings for each one.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to turn off your notifications on Gmail, you can go ahead and take a break from all your emails, work-related or not. By disabling the notification feature, you won’t receive any alerts from the app.
If you change your mind, you can always turn on your notifications anytime you want. You can even enable it for emails marked as important only.
That’s everything we have on our guide about disabling your Gmail notifications. For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, click the bookmark button and visit us for our latest posts and updates.