How To Disable The Chat Option On Discord Voice Channels
Last Updated: June 8, 2022
Are you not fond of Discord’s new chat feature in voice channels? Do you want to turn off the option on specific voice channels within your server? If so, you can manage your channel permissions and disable the messaging feature. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
In one of Discord’s recent updates, the app introduced the chat option on voice channels across different servers on the app. This feature gives the server members an option to send messages, files, and media before or during a voice call on the channel.
Although the text option on voice channels seems useful, we understand that some of you prefer to separate the chatting and voice channels on your server. As an admin, you have the option to manage the channel permissions to disable the chat on your channel.
Here’s our guide about changing the voice channel permission on Discord.
How to turn off text in voice channels on Discord
If you don’t want your server members to send messages on voice channels, you can turn off the feature when managing your channel permissions. In this way, they can only use the channel for calls and talking with other members of the server.
You can manage channel permissions from the Discord mobile, desktop, or web app. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from all three.
On your phone:
- Launch Discord from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap the hamburger icon on the top left corner of the current channel and go to the server that you want to manage.
- Tap and hold onto one of the voice channels within the server.
- Select “Permissions” under the User Management section.
- Select the role that you want to manage. If you don’t have a role for the channel, tap the “Add role” option and select the one you want to use.
- Disable all the permissions under the Text Channel section and tap the save icon on the bottom right to apply the changes.
Please note that users outside the scope of the role you selected can send messages and use the chat feature whenever they want.
On your computer:
- Launch the Discord desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Go to one of the servers that you want to manage.
- Hover your mouse pointer to one of the voice channels and click the gear icon on the right.
- Head to the Permissions tab and click Advanced permissions.
- Select the role that you want to manage.
- Scroll down to the Voice Channel Chat Permissions section and disable everything under it.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom to confirm your decision.
That’s how you disable the chat option on your voice channels on Discord. If you ever change your mind, you can always turn the feature on whenever you want as an admin.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to manage your voice channel permissions, you can turn off the chat feature on your channels whenever you want. In this way, you can separate the places where people can talk and send messages on your servers.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.