How To Delete Your Account In Signal
Last Updated: March 10, 2021
Do you want to unregister your phone number in Signal? Or do you want to erase all data associated with your account on the app? In any case, we’re here to help you. In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to delete your Signal account. Whether you’re using an Android or iOS device, we got you covered.
Signal Messaging is one of the fastest and most secure messaging apps out there. It offers end-to-end encryption to all your messages and calls with other users.
However, some people find the features of Signal Messaging as too simplistic for their taste. Others also prefer more popular messaging apps such as Messenger or Telegram.
If you’re one of those people, you might want to delete your account first before uninstalling the mobile app. In this way, you don’t have to worry about people looking for you on the platform using your number.
In any case, here’s a guide on how to unregister your account on Signal for Android or iOS. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to delete your Signal account
If you’re not using your Signal account anymore, you can delete it or unregister your number. By doing so, you can prevent other people from recognizing you as a Signal user.
You can delete your Signal account whether you’re using an iOS or Android device. Follow our quick step-by-step tutorial below to learn how.
- Open the Signal Messaging app from your home screen or app drawer.
- At the upper left corner of your screen, tap your icon to open your Settings. Alternatively, you can click More options (three-dot icon) > Settings as well.
- Near the bottom of the page, tap Advanced.
- Tap Delete account.
- Select your country, enter your phone number, and select the Delete account button. Once the pop-up shows up, tap Delete account to confirm your decision.
After deleting your account, you can go ahead and uninstall your Signal app if you want. You can do so from your app drawer or by heading to your phone’s Settings > Apps > Signal and selecting Uninstall.
- Open Signal on your device.
- Tap your profile icon at the upper left corner of your screen.
- Go to Advanced and select Delete account.
- Once a pop-up appears on your screen, tap Delete account to confirm your decision.
Please note that when you delete your account, you’ll lose all your chat history, media, contacts, and other files on the app as well. If you try to use your number for a new account, you’ll start one from scratch.
How to unlink your Signal account from your computer
If you’re looking to remove all data and unlink your Signal account from your computer, you can head to Preferences and select Clear Data. Once you do, you’ll get signed out from the desktop app.
- Launch the Signal desktop app and make sure to link your account. To do so, go to Settings > Linked Devices on your phone, add a new device, and scan the QR code on your computer.
- At the upper left corner of the screen, click your icon and select Preferences. Alternatively, you can press Ctrl + Comma on your keyboard as a shortcut.
- At the bottom of the Preferences window, click Clear Data.
- Click Delete All Data to confirm your decision.
Please note that clearing all your data on the desktop app won’t delete your Signal account. You can only unregister your phone number through the Android or iOS app.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to delete your account on Signal, you can go ahead and unregister your phone number on the app. Once you do, the app also erases all your messages, chat history, media, and other associated data.
That’s all we have on our guide about deleting your account on Signal. For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.