How To Delete Shared Files In Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: December 18, 2020
Did you accidentally share a wrong or private file on a group or individual chat on Teams? Or did you send one to the wrong channel? In any case, you can delete these files on the platform even before anyone sees them. If you’re not familiar with the app’s features, don’t worry, since we got you covered. Here’s a quick guide that can teach you how to delete these shared files on Microsoft Teams.
Companies and organizations use business messaging apps, like Microsoft Teams, to share files and information to teams through group chats and channels. As such, there are times where people send the wrong files and messages through these chats.
If that’s the case for you, you don’t need to worry. You can delete any file you send on a Teams chat or channel. And if you’re fast enough, you can even remove it before anyone else can see it.
So if you want to learn how to delete shared files on Teams, all you have to do is delete the message with the file attachment and erase the copy on your cloud storage. But if you’re having trouble finding the option to do so, follow our guide below.
How to delete shared files in a Microsoft Teams chat
Deleting files on a Teams chat is quite different from what most people think. Although you can head over to the Files tab to delete it, you can’t do it on the Files section of your conversation directly.
What you can do is delete the message which includes the file from your chats manually. If you’re not familiar with this process, check our step-by-step tutorial below.
On your computer:
- Open the Teams desktop app or web browser client and sign-in to your account.
- Click Chats and open the conversation with the files that you want to delete.
- Browse your chat history and hover your mouse over the message that includes the file that you want to delete. Once the reaction bar shows up, click More options (three-dot icon).
- Click Delete.
Aside from erasing the file on your chat, delete it from your cloud storage as well. On the left side of your screen, click Files, and select OneDrive. Look for the file on the folders, select it, and click Delete.
- Launch the Teams app from your home screen or app drawer and sign-in to your account.
- Navigate to Chats and open an existing conversation.
- Browse your chat feed and look for the message with the file that you want to delete. Tap More options (three-dot icon).
- Tap Message options > Delete and confirm your decision.
After deleting the message from your chat feed, delete it on the Files section of the app. To access the feature, press the back button or icon on your phone, tap More at the bottom right corner of your screen, and select Files.
How to delete a shared file on a channel
Like deleting a file on a chat, you have to browse a channel and delete the message there. But instead of going to the Files section of the whole app, you can delete the file on the Files tab of the channel.
Using the desktop or web browser app:
- Navigate to the Teams tab and select a channel from one of your teams.
- Under the Posts tab, hover on a message with the file that you want to delete. On the reactions bar that shows up, click More options (three-dot icon).
- Click Delete.
- Head over to the Files tab of the channel and delete the shared file on there as well.
Using the Android app:
- Tap Meetings at the bottom of your screen and select a channel.
- Under the Posts tab, look for the message with the file attachment and click Message options (three-dot icon) > Delete.
Unfortunately, Android app users can’t delete the files on the Files section of the channel. To delete the file entirely from the chat, you have to sign-in and use the desktop or web browser app.
To sum it all up
Now that you know how to delete shared files, you can remove any report, document, or image that you accidentally shared on a channel or chat. And if you’re fast enough to delete them, you can remove them before anyone else can see them.
That’s all from our guide about deleting shared files on Microsoft Teams. If you want to see more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly for our daily updates. Don’t forget to bookmark our page as well.