How To Delete A Telegram Account
Last Updated: November 19, 2020
Are you leaving Telegram due to some security issues? Or do you prefer other messaging services like WhatsApp? In any case, it’s best to delete your account to remove all of your data on the platform. Here’s our quick guide about Telegram’s self-destruction feature and how to manually delete your account.
Although Telegram is a pretty good messaging service with functions like end-to-end encryption and timed messages, these security features are only applicable to their secret chats and voice calls. Also, the platform can collect your data and private information, including your IP address and mobile phone number.
If that’s the reason why you’re leaving Telegram, or you prefer other secure services like WhatsApp and Signal, it’s best to erase all of your data on the platform. In this way, you don’t have to worry about other unauthorized people hacking into your account and using it for their purposes.
There are two ways to delete your account on Telegram. You can stay inactive for a set amount of time for your account to self-destruct, or you can use one of the platform’s API services.
In any case, we have here a quick guide that can help you use both of these features. Now, without further ado, let’s get started.
Telegram’s self-destruct feature
For those who don’t know, Telegram can delete your account automatically if you’re inactive for a long time. In this way, you don’t have to worry about deleting your data even if you uninstalled the app on your device.
By default, your account self-destructs when you’re away for six months. However, you can change your settings and set it to a year at max or a month at least.
Here’s how to change the self-destruct option on Android:
- Open Telegram on your home screen or app drawer.
- Tap the three horizontal line icon at the upper left corner of your screen to open the menu and tap Settings.
- Under the Settings section, tap Privacy and Security.
- Under “Delete my account,” tap the duration option to change its settings.
- Among the options available, set 1 month as the time duration.
On your desktop:
- Launch the Telegram app.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top left corner of the app to access the menu and click Settings among the options available.
- Click Privacy and Security.
- Scroll down and click “If away for” under the “Delete my account” section.
- Set a duration for the account self-destruction feature and click Save.
Once you stay offline or inactive on Telegram after the duration of this option passes, your account automatically self-destructs. Self-destruction on Telegram deletes all of your data, including the chat history.
Take note that each time you go online on the app, the duration of the self-destruct option resets, which means that you have to wait longer. Uninstalling the app can help you avoid any instances where you accidentally signs-in on the platform.
How to manually delete your Telegram account
Aside from using the self-destruct feature, there’s a faster way to delete your account. So if you don’t like to wait for at least a month before erasing all of your data on Telegram, you can use one of the platform’s API services.
However, this option isn’t available on the Telegram app whether you’re on Android, desktop, or iOS. This feature is only accessible by opening it on your web browser.
Here’s our step-by-step guide about using Telegram’s deactivation service:
- On your favorite web browser, visit my.telegram.org/auth.
- Enter your phone number in the space provided. Make sure to use the international format of numbers before you click Next.
- Check your app’s inbox for the SMS message from Telegram. Enter the confirmation code on the page and click Sign-in to continue.
- Among the options available on your screen, click Delete Account.
- You can add an optional reason about why you’re deleting your account before you continue. Click “Delete My Account” and confirm your decision once prompted.
Once you delete your account, it might take a few days before you can create a new one using the same number. And remember that once you delete your account, you’ll lose all of your messages, chat history, and data on the platform.
To sum it all up
Whether you plan to stay inactive for your account to self-destruct or you prefer not to wait and use Telegram’s deactivation page, it’s all up to you. In any case, both of these methods can erase all of your data, including your chat history.
If you choose to stay offline for a long time to delete your account, we recommend uninstalling Telegram on all of your devices to avoid any accidental logins to the platform. But if you choose to delete your account immediately, remember that signing-up using the same number might not be possible for several days.
That’s all we have on our guide about deleting your Telegram account. If you want to see more tricks, tips, and tutorials, bookmark our page, and don’t forget to visit us regularly for our daily updates.