How To Delete A Group Chat In WhatsApp
Last Updated: October 20, 2020
Deleting a group chat in WhatsApp isn’t simple as clicking on the delete button. There are a few steps that you need to do first before you can delete a group. If you find the process confusing, don’t worry, we’re here to help you. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to delete a group completely on WhatsApp.
WhatsApp is a great platform to connect with your friends online for free. As long as you know their phone number and they have an account, adding them to your contacts and messaging them through the app is easy.
Aside from chatting with your friends directly, you can also create group chats where you can discuss and share information with others. And since each group you create can hold up to 256 participants, there’s more than enough room for you to invite your friends for a chat.
While creating a group is pretty simple in WhatsApp, deleting one is a multi-step process. Normally, group participants, including admins, don’t have access to the delete button.
If you have some idea about deleting a group but find it confusing, don’t worry, we got you covered. We have here a step-by-step guide that includes everything you need to do to delete a group chat entirely.
How to completely delete a group in WhatsApp
Aside from being an admin, there are a couple of things you need to do before you can delete a group chat completely. You must remove all participants and leave the group before you can access the option to delete it.
Remove all participants
Before you can delete a group as an admin, you must first remove all of its participants. You can do this through WhatsApp desktop, mobile, or web app.
- Open a group chat from the chats tab.
- Tap “group subject” to access the group information. You can also tap Menu > “Group info.”
- Tap on a participant that you want to remove.
- On the options available, tap Remove [name of participant] and confirm your decision.
On your computer:
- Open WhatsApp on your favorite browser and sign-in to their web client. Alternatively, you can use the desktop app if you have it installed on your computer.
- Open the group chat that you want to delete and click on the group subject to open its information.
- Click the Menu beside the name of a participant and select Remove and confirm your decision.
Repeat these methods above until you remove everyone from the group. After removing all of the participants, you can now leave the group and delete it afterward.
If you exit a group, it will continue to exist if it still has participants in it, even if you’re an admin. However, if there are no other people in the group after you leave, you can choose the option to delete the chat completely.
- Open WhatsApp and select the group in which you want to leave.
- Tap the group subject to access your group information.
- Tap “Exit group” and confirm to leave.
Using WhatsApp desktop and web:
- Open your WhatsApp desktop or web client and select the group in which you want to leave.
- Hover your mouse pointer over the group on your chat list on the left and open the Menu. On the other hand, you can also access the group information by tapping on its subject.
- Click “Exit group” from the options and confirm your decision.
Take note that after you leave, you’ll still see the group in your chat tabs, and you can still access and read its history.
After exiting the group, you’re getting the option to delete it. When you delete a group, WhatsApp will remove it from the chats list and erase its history as well.
- Open WhatsApp and select the group from the chats tab.
- Tap Menu > “Group info.”
Alternatively, you can tap the group subject to open its information page.
- Tap “Delete group” > DELETE.
Using WhatsApp desktop and web:
- Open the group chat that you want to delete.
- Tap the group subject to access its information tab.
- Select “Delete group” from the options and confirm your decision.
There’s no denying that WhatsApp group chats are great for communicating and discussing with multiple people at the same time. However, there are times when you have to delete one to sort and clean your chat tabs.
Unless the group has a lot of members, deleting it completely isn’t much of a hassle. All you have to do is remove all participants and leave before you can delete it for everyone. Remember that after deleting a group, you can no longer access it from the chat list. Its history gets deleted in the process as well.
Now that you know how to delete a WhatsApp group chat from your account, it is only a matter of time before you get familiar with its process. If you want more tips, tricks, and tutorials from us, try to visit our page regularly for the latest updates and articles.