How To Deactivate A Community On WhatsApp
Last Updated: November 26, 2022
Do you no longer need a community on WhatsApp? Do you want to unlink all the groups inside the community? If that’s a yes, you can deactivate the group as an admin. In our guide below, we’ll cover the steps to do so.
Communities on WhatsApp allow users to link multiple group chats under one big group. Once someone is a member of a community, they can request to join different groups under it to find the information they need or to participate in different conversations.
If there comes a time when you no longer need a community on the app, you can easily deactivate it to unlink all its groups. As the creator, you have permission to manage the community and delete it if you feel the need to do so.
Here’s our guide about deactivating a WhatsApp community.
How to end a community on WhatsApp
If you don’t need to use a community on WhatsApp anymore, you can deactivate it whenever you want. As long as you’re the creator and admin of a community, you can deactivate it whenever you want to unlink all its groups.
You can deactivate communities whether you’re on the WhatsApp desktop, web, or mobile app. Check our tutorials below, and we’ll show you the steps to do so.
On your phone:
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Communities tab by clicking its icon on the left side of the Chats tab.
- Open the community that you want to manage.
- Tap the Deactivate community option at the bottom of the menu.
- Select the Deactivate button at the bottom to confirm your decision.
When you deactivate a community, it will unlink all the groups that are a part of it. However, groups can still continue to operate normally from the chats tab.
On your desktop:
- Open the WhatsApp desktop app or visit their web client, and sign in to your account.
- Click the communities icon above the chats list.
- Open the community that you want to manage and select the “Deactivate community” option at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Click the red Deactivate button to confirm your decision.
Please note that once you deactivate a community, past admins won’t be able to send messages to it. Also, members won’t be able to view the community’s information in the future.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to deactivate a community on WhatsApp, you can now unlink all the groups under it. Please remember that there’s no way to restore a deactivated community on the app.
That’s about it! If you want more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.