How To Customize The Background In Your Skype Video Calls
Last Updated: March 17, 2021
Do you want to prevent other participants from seeing your background in your Skype video calls? Or do you want to add filter effects to make your meetings more lively? Either way, we’re here to help you. Follow our guide below to learn how to customize the background during your Skype calls. As a bonus, we’ll also show you how to set the default background on your Settings.
When you’re on a video call on Skype, there are times where you don’t want other users to see the background of your video feed. You don’t want it to distract the participants in your meetings.
Fortunately, you can choose to blur your background or apply different filters from preset images or custom ones. Besides hiding your surrounding on your video feed, it can also make you look like you’re somewhere else.
If you’re having some trouble finding the option to customize your background, don’t worry, we got you covered. All you have to do is check our guide below.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to change the background during a video call on Skype
During a video call on Skype, you can choose to blur your background or apply different filters to prevent people from seeing it. You can also use it to add effects to make your meetings lively.
Please note that filter effects are only available on the Linux, Windows, and Mac app of Skype. However, you can still blur your background on the mobile app.
On your computer:
- Launch the Skype desktop app and sign-in to your account.
- Join an existing call or start a new one.
- At the bottom right corner of the call window, click More options > Choose background effect.
- Click on a filter to apply it to your video feed immediately. To view more choices, click the ellipsis at the end of the available backgrounds.
- You can also choose to upload an image from your device to use as a background.
Note: Skype recommends using an image with a landscape orientation.
That’s how you change the background during your video calls on Skype. Please note that once you end the call, your video feed will return to its default settings.
Although you can’t apply background effects to video calls on the mobile app, you can use blur instead. All you have to do is tap More (ellipsis) > Blur my background during a video call.
How to customize the default background for all video calls on Skype
Aside from changing your background during a call on Skype, you can also set one for all your video calls. In turn, you don’t have to change it every time you join your contact for a call.
Please note that this feature is only available for Skype on Linux, Windows, and Mac. You can find it on the Audio & Video Settings on your app.
If you’re having some trouble locating the option to change your default background, follow our step-by-step tutorial below:
- Open the Skype app on your computer and make sure to sign-in with your account.
- Click your profile icon at the upper left corner of the screen to open the menu and select Settings under the Manage section. As a shortcut, you can press Ctrl + Comma on your keyboard.
- Go to the Audio & Video tab.
- Choose a featured filter effect or click the ellipsis for more options.
- You can also choose to upload an image to use as the background. Please remember that the custom image must be stored locally on your device for it to upload properly.
When you set a chat background through your Settings, Skype will apply it for all your video calls. However, you can always change it during a video call temporarily. When you leave, it will revert to your default one.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to change the background on your Skype calls, you can customize it in any way you want. You can choose to set a default one for all your video calls or change it during one.
Always remember that if you change your background during a call, it will revert to the default setting once you leave or end it. Also, please use landscape images when uploading custom backgrounds.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For the latest tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.