How To Customize Channel Notifications On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: June 27, 2022
Are you tired of the countless notifications you receive from your channels on Teams? Do you want to filter out the message alerts that you receive from your conversations? In any case, you can customize a channel’s notifications on Teams. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll teach you the steps to do so.
When someone mentions you or shares an important message to one of your Team’s channels, you’ll receive a notification on your device. In this way, you can keep yourself updated with the latest messages from your channels even when you’re not using the app.
However, we understand that receiving a lot of notifications from your conversations can distract you from what you’re currently doing. Thankfully, Teams allows its users to customize the notification they receive from their channels.
Here’s our guide about managing your notifications on the Teams app.
How to customize a channel’s notifications on Teams
If you want to filter out the notification you receive from your channels, you can customize it to your liking. You can even customize notifications to allow the app to alert you from a specific type of message only.
You can customize one of your channel’s notifications, whether you’re using Microsoft Teams on your phone or computer. Check our tutorials below for the steps on both devices.
On your computer:
- Open the Teams desktop or web app and sign in to your organization.
- Go to the Teams app by selecting the option on the left sidebar.
- Hover to the channel that you want to manage and click More options (three dots icon).
- Hover to “Channel notifications” and select the “Custom” option. You can also select one of the other options if that’s what you want to use.
- Modify the notification settings and click Save to confirm your decision.
That’s how you customize your notifications on your channels on Teams. You can customize each of your channels and manage preferences to suit what you like.
On your phone:
- Launch the Teams app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Teams tab and open the channel that you want to manage.
- Tap the bell icon on the conversation header.
- Choose the notification preference that you want to use.
As you can see, the choices for the notification settings on Teams mobile are limited compared to the desktop or web app. However, these options are enough to filter out non-important messages from your channels.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to customize your channel notifications, you can filter out the alerts that you receive on your device. As such, you can opt to receive mentions and other important notifications from your conversations on the app.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.