How To Create And View TikTok Duets
Last Updated: February 4, 2020
TikTok duets are an incredibly popular aspect of the app and offer massive potential for being creative. You can duet with yourself, with a friend and even with a real life pop star or celebrity. If you’re new to TikTok and want to get in on the action this tutorial is going to walk you through how to create and view TikTok duets.
Duets on TikTok are the same as they are anywhere. Two people singing along or performing a sketch. The difference is that on this app, the two performers don’t have to be in the same room. They don’t even have to be in the same time zone. It’s all done virtually and the app puts it together to create a video worthy of sharing.
If you want to try a duet, this guide shows you how.
How to create a duet in TikTok
There is huge scope for creativity on TikTok and you will quickly find a song or something else to perform in your duet. Some celebrities even create videos specifically for you to duet with while you can theoretically duet with anyone on any video.
Once you have a video in mind, we can get on with creating the duet.
- Open TikTok and select the video you want to duet with.
- Select the Share icon on the right of that video and select Duet. The screen should now split into two with the source video on one side.
- Hit record when you’re ready to record your side of the duet.
- Add any effects you want once you’re done recording.
- Select Next once finished, set the comments, reacts and add any hashtags.
- Select Post to make it live.
If you cannot select a video for a duet, that’s because the uploader will have set their account to private. Some people do this for privacy reasons so you won’t be able to interact with their videos. You can ask them if you can use it or just find another.
Duet with yourself on TikTok
It’s cool to duet with other people but in some circumstances, duetting with yourself can add another dimension, literally. There are tons of songs and sketches on TikTok where this is done very cleverly and it can be very effective when done right. If you want in on the action, duetting with yourself is very similar to duetting with someone else but includes an important extra step.
You will need to first record a video of you solo and then use that video to duet. Like this:
- Open TikTok and create the first version of your video.
- Save the video as draft rather than publish it.
- Select a new video and select to upload a video rather than create a new one.
- Select the video you just created and load it into TikTok. It should appear on one side with the recording screen on the other.
- Record the second video the same as above.
- Add effects, hashtags and whatever and select Post to publish it.
View a duet in TikTok
Viewing duets is the same as viewing any video. There is no specific category for them, they will appear in the general melee of videos on the app. They may be given away by a split screen if you see the video itself, otherwise it’s a matter of looking at titles.
Troubleshooting duets in TikTok
If you cannot get duets to work in TikTok, there may be a couple of things getting in the way. Your account settings may not allow it or the app may need a refresh.
A very common issue is with privacy settings. I mentioned before that you cannot duet with some videos because of them. You also might not be able to duet because of your own privacy settings.
- Open TikTok and select your profile icon.
- Select the three dot menu icon in the top right.
- Select Privacy and Safety and make sure ‘Who Can Duet with Me’ is set to Everyone or Friends.
If you’re duetting with yourself and cannot get it to work, turning this on should fix it. If you’re trying to duet with someone else, check their privacy settings as they may have their Duet with Me setting set to off.
If that doesn’t work, clearing the TikTok cache will usually fix it.
- Select Settings and Storage on your device.
- Select Other Apps and select TikTok.
- Select Clear Cache.
- Select Settings and General on your phone.
- Select iPhone Storage and select TikTok.
- Select Offload App to clear the cache.
Duets are one level of creativity that combines with all the others to make TikTok such a dynamic and interesting social network. Sure some duets are garbage but so many are actually very good. Anyone who contributes to that level of content definitely gets my vote!