How To Create A Workflow On Slack
Last Updated: November 8, 2021
Do you want to automate some processes you do on Slack? If that’s the case, you can set up a workflow for channels on your workspace. When you do, the automated process starts with the trigger that you chose. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to create a new workflow on Slack.
In Slack, there might be processes that you repetitively do on channels within your workspace. For example, you might want to send a welcome message to new members when they join a channel.
With the help of workflows, you can automate these repetitive processes on selected channels to make things easier around your workspace.
In our guide below, we’ll show you how to start a workflow on your Slack workspace.
How to set up a workflow on Slack
If you want to automate multi-step processes on Slack, you can start a workflow on your workspace. These workflows don’t require coding experience and can run right away or connect with other third-party services and tools.
Note: Workflows are available to all paid plans on Slack.
When you create a workflow on Slack, you need to select a trigger to start the workflow. Each workflow you create on your workspace is channel-specific, meaning you can only use it on the channel you selected.
Here are the triggers you can use on your Slack workflows:
- Shortcuts menu – The workflow starts when someone selects it from the shortcuts menu.
- New member channel – The workflow starts when someone joins the channel.
- Emoji reaction – The workflow starts when someone sends a specific emoji to the conversation.
- Scheduled date & time – The workflow starts on the selected date and time.
You can also create a webhook trigger but it may require you some technical expertise to use them.
Starting a workflow for your channel
- On your computer, launch Slack (desktop or web app) and sign in to your workspace.
- Click the name of the workspace on the top of the sidebar.
- On the menu that appears, hover to Tools and select Workflow Builder.
- Once the Workflow Builder window shows up on your screen, click Create on the top right.
- Add the workflow’s name and click Next.
- Select from one of the triggers that start your workflow.
- Fill up the empty fields depending on the trigger you chose and select Next to create the workflow.
After creating a workflow, you’ll need to add the steps and publish it to use the automated process on your workspace. We’ll cover more about these next steps in our future posts on Slack.
If you don’t have time to start a workflow from scratch, you can check the Templates tab and try out one of the customizable templates from Slack. In this way, you can get familiar with how the feature works in your workspace.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create a workflow on Slack, you can now start automating different processes on your channels on the app. After adding a few steps and publishing your workflow, everyone on the channel can use it whenever they want.
By default, any member of your workspace can create workflows on Slack. However, the owner or one of the admins can restrict or disable this feature on their workspace.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tutorials from us, visit our site from time to time, and read our latest posts and updates.