How To Create A Read-only Group On WhatsApp
Last Updated: May 6, 2022
Do you want to create a group solely for important announcements or news? Or do you want to stop members from sending messages on the group chat? In any case, you can change the messaging permission within your group as an admin. Follow our guide below to learn how.
Like most, if not all, messaging apps out there, WhatsApp allows its users to create and join groups on the app. By default, every group participant can send messages and share media within the chat.
However, there might be situations where you only want a few people to post messages and share media on a group chat. For example, you might want to have a group for important news about a project that you’re spearheading.
Thankfully, you can manage your group permissions and disable the messaging option for regular members of the group. In this way, only the chat admins can post messages for everyone on the chat.
Here’s our guide about changing your group’s messaging permissions on WhatsApp.
How to prevent group members from sending messages on WhatsApp
If you want to make a group solely for announcements, you can change who can send messages on the chat. You can choose to only allow admins to share photos or send messages in the conversation.
You can change the message permissions within a group chat whether you’re using WhatsApp on your computer or mobile device. We’ll show you the steps on both devices in our tutorials below.
On your phone:
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open the group chat that you want to manage and tap its name on the conversation header. Alternatively, you can tap the three dots icon on the top right corner of the chat and select “Group info” on the menu.
- Select the “Group settings” option.
- Tap the “Send messages” option to change who can share messages on the chat.
- Select “Only admins” on the pop-up window and tap “OK” to confirm your decision.
That’s how you stop regular members from sending messages on the group chat. In this way, you and other admins can post announcements, share news, and send messages without any distractions.
On your desktop:
- Open the WhatsApp web or desktop app and link your device.
- Go to the group that you want to manage and select its name on the conversation header.
- Select the “Group settings” option on the sidebar.
- Click the “Send messages” option to manage who can share messages in the group.
- Click the “Only admins” option on the pop-up window and select “Confirm” to apply the changes.
If you ever change your mind, you can always manage your group permissions to enable messages from regular members.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to change a group chat’s messaging permissions on WhatsApp, you can stop members from sending messages in the chat. In this way, you and your admins can focus on sharing important announcements and events for every participant.
That’s everything we have on our guide! If you want more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently and read our latest posts and updates.