How To Create A Group On Steam
Last Updated: May 2, 2023
Do you want to have a place on Steam where you can start discussions with your friends? Or do you want to host a group for people that share your gaming interests? Either way, you can start a group on the app. In this article, we’ll cover the steps for creating a group from the Steam mobile and desktop app.
Aside from buying and playing games on Steam, you can also use the app to participate in discussions with other users. If you want to host a place for people to discuss or start forums, you can create a group with your account.
Each Steam account can own up to 10 groups, so you don’t have to worry about creating multiple ones for different purposes.
Here’s our guide about starting a group on the Steam app.
How to form a group on Steam
If you want to have a place on Steam where you can share your interests, start discussions, and manage forums, you can create a group on the app. Once you have a group, you can invite your friends and people with the same interests to join it.
You can create a Steam group whether you’re on your phone or computer. Check our tutorials, and we’ll teach you how to do it from both devices.
On your computer:
- Launch the Steam desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Hover your mouse pointer over your name on the top center part of the app and select “Groups” from the menu.
- Find the Groups section on the sidebar and select “Create Group.”
- Choose a group name, abbreviation, and link. Check every entry for availability. If someone has taken your desired name, abbreviation, and link, you need to choose another one.
- Choose whether to create a public or private group and click Create.
Think carefully about the group’s name and abbreviation you want to use. There’s no way to change those two after creating the group.
On your phone:
- Open the Steam mobile app and sign in to your account.
- Tap your profile icon on the upper right corner of the app.
- Select “Friends” under the My Content section.
- Tap the drop-down arrow beside the number of friends you have on the app.
- Select “Create Group” under the Groups section.
- Choose the group’s name, abbreviation, and link. Choose whether to make it a public or private group and tap the Create button.
Public groups allow any user to join them without a problem. Members can also freely invite people to join the public group.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to start groups on Steam, you can create a place where you can discuss with your friends or people with share the same gaming interests. After creating a group, you can send out invitations to your friends on the app.
That’s everything! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our daily posts and updates.