How To Create A Group DM On Slack
Last Updated: November 10, 2021
Do you want to start a conversation with a few workspace members on Slack? Do you want to talk to them without using one of the channels on the app? If so, you can start a group DM with up to nine members in your workspace. In our guide below, we’ll show you how to create a group chat on Slack, whether you’re using your phone or computer.
In Slack, there are instances where you don’t need to use an entire channel for short and informal conversations with other users. Channels on the app have their purpose, so it might not be the best way to have a quick chat with other members.
Thankfully, workspace members can start group conversations with up to nine people to avoid cluttering the public and private channels on the workspace. With that in mind, here’s our guide about creating group DMs on Slack.
How to start a group conversation on Slack
If you want to message a few of your workspace members on Slack, you can start a group message instead. In this way, you can have smaller conversations without bringing them to one of your channels.
You can start a group DM whether you’re using Slack on your phone or computer. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from both devices.
On your computer:
- Open the Slack desktop or web app and sign in to your account.
- Click the compose button icon at the top of your sidebar, right beside your workspace name, to start a new message.
- Add the people you want to include in the group DM on the “To:” field located at the top of the conversation window.
- Type your first message in the message field and hit the Send button to create the group conversation.
That’s how you start a new group DM on Slack. If you forgot to include some people in the conversation, you can add more people any time you want.
However, adding people to an existing group chat starts a new DM without saving the previous DM’s message history. If you want to preserve the messages and files shared in the conversation, you can convert the DM to a private channel instead.
On the Slack mobile app:
- After signing in to your workspace, tap the compose icon on the bottom right to start a new message.
- Add the people you want to include in the group conversation.
- Type your message on the message field at the bottom of the app and tap the Send button to create a new group conversation.
After creating the group conversation, all the chat participants can use the chat to communicate with other members. Please note that adding a new member to the conversation starts a new DM with blank message history.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create a group conversation on Slack, there’s no need for you to use one of the public or private channels on your workspace. You can start group chats with up to nine members of your workspace to avoid cluttering these important channels for your work-related stuff.
That’s it! For more tutorials from us, visit our site frequently, and browse our latest posts and updates.