How To Create A Group Chat In Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: March 29, 2021
Are you having some trouble creating a group chat in Microsoft Teams? Can’t find the option to do so? In any case, we have here a guide to help you. We’ll show you how to set up group chats in Microsoft Teams. Whether you’re using the mobile or desktop app, we got you covered.
If you’re a new Microsoft Teams user, you have two features you can use to communicate with your friends, family, or workmates. You can choose to create a team or form a group chat instead.
In our guide below, we’ll show you how to start a new group chat. You can use it to message or call the members without worrying about other people outside the group.
Without further ado, let’s get started!
How to set up a group chat in Teams
If you want to share private information with selected people on Teams, you can choose to create a group chat. Unlike the Team collaboration feature, messages, media, and other data sent on a group chat are only visible to its members.
Whether you’re using the Teams desktop, web, or mobile app, you can set up a group by starting a new chat. Follow our tutorials below to learn how.
- Open the Teams mobile app, sign-in to your account, and select one of your organizations.
- Head to the Chats tab and compose a new chat.
- Type the names, email, or phone number of the contacts you want to add in the “To” section to include them in the group.
- Input a message on the text field and send it to form a new group.
That’s how you create a group on the mobile version of Teams. To access and edit the chat details, tap the group’s initial name on the header. From there, you can choose to name your group and add a photo.
As for iOS users, creating a group is similar to those of the Android version. There’s only a difference in the interface, but the methods and concepts are pretty much the same.
On your computer:
- Launch the Teams desktop or web app, sign-in, and open one of your organizations.
- On the left side of your screen, click the Chats tab and start a new chat.
- Click the drop-down arrow on the upper-right side of the chat window to start creating a group chat.
- Enter your desired group name and add the members.
- To start the group, enter your first message and click the send button.
After creating a new group chat, you can add a photo that represents it. You can also edit the name anytime you want.
If you missed adding a few contacts to your group, don’t worry, you can invite them by email, name, or tag. When doing so, you can choose not to share your previous chat history.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create a group chat in Microsoft Teams, you go ahead and start a new one with your friends, family, or workmates. With a maximum number of 250 members, it’s more than enough for a small team.
Always remember that you can change the group’s name and photo anytime you want. You can also leave one if you no longer need it.
That’s all we have on our guide about starting new groups in Teams. If you want more tips, tricks, and tutorials from us, visit our site regularly and check our daily posts or updates.